Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Build Games! > StoryBuilders

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-16-2000, 10:28 AM
JeffCrook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
XML: The Core of the Skotos article

In regards to the proximity prepositions, wouldn't it be easier to only define as true those prepositions that can be used in reference with that object, and have all other prepositions default to false. That way you don't overlook a possible preposition. I'm not sure how it works, technically, so I don't know if that is possible.

Also, is it possible to have an object which consists of two unique objects? For example, I was thinking of a shield that is divided in half. Each half can be used as a shield, say for a right handed person and a left handed person, but the two shields could be brought together to form a single shield, which would then have magical properties and be treated as a single object until divided again.

There are other objects that might require this functionality, like a cane sword. A sci-fi game might have even more requirements. This is basically a question of objects which, when put together, must be treated as a unique object with its own properties.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-16-2000, 11:43 AM
Zell Zell is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 210
Jeff,

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffCrook:
In regards to the proximity prepositions, wouldn't it be easier to only define as true those prepositions that can be used in reference with that object, and have all other prepositions default to false. That way you don't overlook a possible preposition. I'm not sure how it works, technically, so I don't know if that is possible.
That is how it works, actually. If you're coding XML by hand you only enter the true-valued prepositions -- however, next time the server exports the object into XML, it fetches the exhaustive list of prepositions and adds them as attributes, which explains why they're all present in the article.

Quote:

Also, is it possible to have an object which consists of two unique objects? For example, I was thinking of a shield that is divided in half. Each half can be used as a shield, say for a right handed person and a left handed person, but the two shields could be brought together to form a single shield, which would then have magical properties and be treated as a single object until divided again.
There is no obvious support for this right now but it's not too tricky -- you'd just create an object that acts the way you want the combined objects to work, and when the player does combine them you sneakly swap the two separate objects for the combined one. So you really have three objects and just switch them around.

One could imagine a more general system that tries, somehow, to more generally combine two items into one, but it's not obvious how that would work, programming difficulties aside. What happens if you combine a squirrel with a sword?

Zell
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-16-2000, 01:33 PM
Karl Karl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Calgary, AB, CANADA
Posts: 20
Send a message via ICQ to Karl
Southern barbeque.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-17-2000, 12:22 AM
JeffCrook
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally posted by Zell:
What happens if you combine a squirrel with a sword?
That's easy. A vorpal squirrel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-25-2000, 10:29 AM
Darren Brimhall Darren Brimhall is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Fresno, California, America
Posts: 3,429
Think I'll just stick to creating my stories and let somebody else play with the XML code.
Yes, I just saw what it'll take to make a sword. Bad touch typest or not, I'm not going to even try writing all of that out.

Darren brimhall
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-26-2000, 11:11 AM
Danielo Danielo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Oakham
Posts: 5
Relax. It's not as hard as it looks. Like Zell said, a lot of the code is added automatically for the sake of completeness.

Now when you get to rooms.....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-29-2000, 09:53 AM
ShannonA ShannonA is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 2,465
Quote:
Originally posted by Danielo:
Relax. It's not as hard as it looks. Like Zell said, a lot of the code is added automatically for the sake of completeness.
Exactly. The way our developer system works, what you probably do is:

1) Find an Ur-sword that's already been made. (This is sort of like a Platonic ideal.)

2) Make a descendent of that Ur-sword, which inherits all of its properties.

3) Go in to our editor interface, which totally isolates you from the XML code, and enter the text of what you want to change into text-input boxes. (IE, you could change its weight or its length or its "brief", "look" or "examine" description.)

4) The editor spits out the XML code totally invisible to you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-29-2000, 11:06 PM
Seidl Seidl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Longmont, CO USA
Posts: 1,110
Yes, but Shannon, when will those outside the magic skotos walls get to use the developer tools?

-=- Matt
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2001, 03:05 PM
ShannonA ShannonA is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 2,465
Quote:
Originally posted by Seidl:
Yes, but Shannon, when will those outside the magic skotos walls get to use the developer tools?
Our current plan is to start taking new applications for StoryBuilders on 4/1. This will still be a pretty limited set of people.

We *hope* to offer some version of the tools to the general public this Summer, but that may get held up as we work on the mysterious Game #3.

I plan to talk more about our current plans for world building in my Trials, Tribulations & Triumphs for ... uh ... 1/18/01. Seriously. Unless something else gets in my way before then.

Shannon
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.