Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > The Eternal City > The Eternal City Game World

Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Attica Send a message via MSN to Attica Send a message via Skype™ to Attica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsana View Post
study chest
[Success: 1, Roll: 70] You carefully study the concept of a tumbler mechanism and feel that you have a pretty firm grasp of how it works. Looking closely, you note how the lock is jammed.
You are no longer busy.
unjam chest closed with lockp
The lock gives some, but is not completely unjammed.
[Success: 23, Roll: 74] You carefully twist and manipulate a black lockpick etched with a wisp of silver smoke.
You are no longer busy.
study chest
[Success: 1, Roll: 2] You carefully study the concept of a tumbler mechanism and feel that you have a pretty firm grasp of how it works. Looking closely, you note how the lock is jammed.
You are no longer busy.
[Success: 30, Roll: 19] You carefully twist and manipulate a black lockpick etched with a wisp of silver smoke.
You are no longer busy.
study chest
[Success: 1, Roll: 4] You carefully study the concept of a tumbler mechanism and feel that you have a pretty firm grasp of how it works. Looking closely, you note how the lock is jammed.
You are no longer busy.
[Success: 45, Roll: 35] You carefully twist and manipulate a black lockpick etched with a wisp of silver smoke.
You are no longer busy.
study chest
[Success: 1, Roll: 63] You carefully study the concept of a tumbler mechanism and feel that you have a pretty firm grasp of how it works. Looking closely, you note how the lock is jammed.
You are no longer busy.
[Success: 44, Roll: 65] You carefully twist and manipulate a black lockpick etched with a wisp of silver smoke. You feel an obstruction release, and you have confidence the lock will operate normally now.

My study is at rank 70. I take it up slowly, and it has never failed to disappoint me. Is there any reason it is this useless and random?

ON TOPIC, I would like to see Study Lock be a much more reliable sub-skill, considering the round time associated with it. I'll take it to 100 over the course of the next, idk, year? and see if it helps. I guess.

(I do not recommend learning locksmithing).
130 basics, 55 unjam, 100 study, and there are STILL chests that are unopenable. It's retarded.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Straight :G

Send a message via AIM to Elsana Send a message via MSN to Elsana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica View Post
130 basics, 55 unjam, 100 study, and there are STILL chests that are unopenable. It's retarded.
Yeah. I'm 100/100 basics/unjam, and only 70 in Study. The thing is that the bonus from studying is so random, I'd rather just not use it at all and take my basics/unjam up. Not to mention, and you've probably noticed, the bonus from Study Lock only lasts for a second. If there's a lag spike or you forget to Unjam RIGHT away, there is no bonus from it at all.

I feel bad, sort of, that Elsana is so disconnected as a locksmith now, considering how much time I spend on her and how few locksmiths there are. The round times are just absurd for any big job, and by the end I feel useless anyway when there's a pile of a dozen or twenty that study wouldn't help me with.

/rant

Plz fixed? *puppy eyes*
Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britta View Post
Well, I'm obviously dumb when it comes to such, but from my unskilled eye, that looks like it doesn't work. Wasting sps on training it up isn't going to help
Right? I've heard it's "the most useful Locksmithing asset," and I have noticed that ranking it has the -potential- to make the bonus better, but yes. It feels like it just isn't working.

And honestly, there isn't anything else to spend her SPs on, so why not? Anyone else, take that advice.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:10 AM
Portland, Oregon .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lineberry View Post

On another side.. wouldn't it be interesting to have sides? Character Alliances. For example.... a game I've played called Shaiya does this.. when you create your character you pick.. the light side (good) or the dark side (bad), and based on your alliance you live in that world (in that server).
We were supposed to have light and dark already IG.

But the GMs never enforced it. They rarely and almost never punished the players who picked a "light side" for their characters [Constables, Legio, Patricians and etc...] only as an excuse to exploit the game, hurt others, destroy IG Guilds and Organizations, and play "dark" characters.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:06 PM

I wont post Arturios ranks.. but trust me you need to train more study should be AT least the same as unjam and your basics are to low still and Locksmithing DOES NOT need to be tweaked to make it easier

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." -- John Adams
Old 03-29-2012, 03:33 PM
downbeats at 2-4kicksnare

Send a message via AIM to Armataan Send a message via MSN to Armataan Send a message via Yahoo to Armataan
I am so confused how anyone could think "I have 500 total ranks in this set, and I am not perfect at everything!" is a remotely appropriate attitude for ANY skillset in the game. Especially given the fact that you can earn 40 to 60 ranks a week from week one, every single week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinianQuartz View Post
HAIL CULEXUS
Old 03-29-2012, 03:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Armataan Send a message via MSN to Armataan Send a message via Yahoo to Armataan
they are only active for people with newbie status on,

and characters rolled by accounts like mine are never ever on newbie status. From birth, they don't have newbie status.

So those quests, and their money, are functionally gone.

Quote:
HAIL CULEXUS
Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Doesnt type good w STress

Send a message via MSN to xiaozh
Holly crap, I agree with Armataan.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Attica Send a message via MSN to Attica Send a message via Skype™ to Attica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armataan View Post
I am so confused how anyone could think "I have 500 total ranks in this set, and I am not perfect at everything!" is a remotely appropriate attitude for ANY skillset in the game. Especially given the fact that you can earn 40 to 60 ranks a week from week one, every single week.
It's more the randomness of it. It can go from an 85 to a 5, back up to 95 ... It would just be nice if it could give you a set number, so you knew how much you had left to go before you 'perfected' it, so to speak. Like most every other skillset in the game. 8)
Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Doesnt type good w STress

Send a message via MSN to xiaozh
Randomness doesn't mean you're in the dark. If you've got 10 boxes that haven't been tampered with before, there's probably 3 not jammed, five in the middle range, and maybe two in the difficult.
Go by your success rates on multiple boxes rather than your Success on the skill check.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 PM

Like I said, I have nothing else to put her locksmithing SPs into, so I keep ranking it. Thank you, ProudAmerican, for letting me know that it isn't worthless. It is just disheartening when you have no way to test its effectiveness except ranking it manually.

I can't complain, I guess, when I haven't put any effort into training her what-so-ever for at least four months. I'm glad to know any further efforts won't be in vain.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if Arturio has 2200 total ranks in Locksmithing.

And frankly, I think that all of the skillsets in tec should have similar overall layout to combat, continuing to have reason to be trained upwards of 200/200, 500/500, etc rather than hitting perfect at 10/1 for the easies, 40/1 for the averages, 40/10 for the difficults, and 40/40 for the impossibles, like healing does.

Quote:
HAIL CULEXUS
Old 03-30-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica View Post
It's more the randomness of it. It can go from an 85 to a 5, back up to 95 ... It would just be nice if it could give you a set number, so you knew how much you had left to go before you 'perfected' it, so to speak. Like most every other skillset in the game. 8)
If you wait to long after you get the no longer busy message when you study, to perform the unjam action.. it seems to reset.. as well as if you talk or do any action during the RT for study.

I am not sure if this is meant to be that way or not. Also you WILL get the occasional fluctuation in success rolls no matter how good you are and the frequency and degree is related to your skill level.

And as to perfecting the skill set, I do not think there is such a thing. With all my ranks I still have some minor troubles opening the odd chest but you would never get Arturio to admit that IG Side note on this statement, I do not think I would EVER want to perfect the skill.. it gives me a sense of adventure when I cant instantly open an item. but they all do fall eventually!

~disclaimer~ None of my observations are really tested, but after years of doing this skill set it just seems to me how it works.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that
one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress." -- John Adams
Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 AM

I would say in general HP recovery is BORING in this game. As far as I've ever noticed, I have NEVER been a place that seems to make a difference in the recovery of HP. I'll admit I don't use a stop watch and monitor HP closely over the course of an hour (and if I'm in the negative, it easily takes an hour to get back up to full health), but if I place my character in the cold baths, Hospice bed, inn room, sit at a bar, it doesn't seem to matter.

I would like a way for it to recover quicker be it a healing task that does it, a place you can go IG that ACTUALLY HELPS (and by that I mean make it a significant difference. If you go all the way to the baths from a hunting area, it should help more than if you just lay down in a lean-to.)

I mean, I get it, we're shooting for realism. But you know, it sucks that the RPing game kinda encourages me to go have my character sit in the baths (because I know if I'm not passive, and I'm wearing a sagum, my character is perfectly safe there. No one can attack or steal from him, and going AFK while in the baths is such a common practice that no one would bat an eye) while I go and play Halo instead. Where's the fun in that? Yes, I could RP sitting in a bar 'cause I'll get the same amount of HP gain either way, but I honestly don't like the danger associated with sitting there at a bar with 5 HP, because it could easily be very dangerous and for my character I'd RP that at 5 HP he's half-dead, and not interested in a drink/much social interaction anyway. It would make sense for him to lay down in a bed or try and go someplace safe to rest.

Seriously, implement something that causes HP to recover faster. Some sort of healing skill, some place that helps, some magical heretical thing that's illegal to own/use, I don't care.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 AM
Banned

There's no benefit as far as locations for increasing your HP recovery. Only your fatigue recovery rate.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: