Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > The Eternal City > The Eternal City Game World

Old 11-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Straight :G

Send a message via AIM to Elsana Send a message via MSN to Elsana
Lightbulb New TEC

It's stormin' time! BRAINstormin'!

If the TEC game world was rebuilt from the ground up, what are some key things you would want to see? Everything from skill-sets to clients, SP-gain to destinations, items to graphics.

[edit: ] Or, what changes would you like to see sooner than later which you feel would vastly improve the game?
I know that gets discussed often, but I'm looking for a list.

Last edited by Elsana; 11-16-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:13 PM
Purple Belt RMNU

Send a message via MSN to Zenerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsana View Post
It's stormin' time! BRAINstormin'!

If the TEC game world was rebuilt from the ground up, what are some key things you would want to see? Everything from skill-sets to clients, SP-gain to destinations, items to graphics.
I wouldn't play.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Straight :G

Send a message via AIM to Elsana Send a message via MSN to Elsana
Just a few quick mind-sputters:

As far as skills go, I would love an Art skill-set, Herbalism (!!), metalworking, and the tailoring ability to alter previously finished items.

I have more thoughts but I'll sit on them for a while.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:20 PM
This is my duck face.

I'd get rid of the bullshit PG13+ rating and make it 17+ instead. With an aging playerbase, games need to grow up too.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:22 PM
Lasciviousness

Send a message via AIM to Lineberry Send a message via MSN to Lineberry Send a message via Yahoo to Lineberry Send a message via Skype™ to Lineberry
Quests! NPC oriented Quests.. so when there isn't any rp to be had or I could focus on Quests in all my skills.

Quote:
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
Old 11-16-2011, 12:34 PM

Send a message via MSN to Foxfire
Altene Cloak Fighting.

Or, rather, fighting styles for every weapon, not just knives and swords.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:34 PM

I'd make the economy more involving. Merchants would not buy 10000 knives when no one is buying knives. Leather working, metal working, herbalism, etc, player run economy stuff. I would turn TEC into the text version of EVE, except Romany.

-- Ovid

<Iason thinks aloud: HELP!>
Old 11-16-2011, 02:15 PM
Doesnt type good w STress

Send a message via MSN to xiaozh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
I'd get rid of the bullshit PG13+ rating and make it 17+ instead. With an aging playerbase, games need to grow up too.
I love you Lexi.

And if we got that change, I'd be able to say I'll do more than love you.
~~~~~

I don't want anything new. I want to run through the old story arcs with our current mechanics. Mechanical balances like attributes and SP-gain and even combat balance are better than they've ever been. On the otherhand, story-arcs are at an all time low.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red431 View Post
I'd make the economy more involving. Merchants would not buy 10000 knives when no one is buying knives. Leather working, metal working, herbalism, etc, player run economy stuff. I would turn TEC into the text version of EVE, except Romany.
I second this! It'd be awesome if players could use tailoring, herbalism, etc. and sign up somewhere to have their own personal shop and sell their own wares (clothes, weapons, herbs, supplies, etc.)
I'm not sure it would entirely help the economy, but it would keep players crafting if there was a "rent" to be paid on the shop, and if it wasn't met you got your shop closed down until you could pay it up or something..

Just a passing thought!
Old 11-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Marren's Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi View Post
This.
does anyone know anyone under 18 that plays this game?
This is the only game I play that censors swear words, nonetheless frowns on them all together.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinduck View Post
This.
does anyone know anyone under 18 that plays this game?
This is the only game I play that censors swear words, nonetheless frowns on them all together.
It is also the only game that I have ever heard of/played that regulates the playerbase outside of the gameworld, even going to third party websites.

Censoring swear words is at the low end of odd quirks TEC has.

As for the point of the thread:

Remaking TEC I'd allow for a slow, yet consistent release of skillsets, areas, and items forever. Every other successful RPG I know of does this. They do not have to be major overhauls, but every four months release a new place/skill/item/whatever.

I'd also setup one paid GM from the start that has never played TEC but has a huge amount of experience coding. There are so many code monkeys flooding the market that are looking for a $5 an hour job at 40 hours a week, you would have a 1,000 applications a week.

I'd have 2 to 3 volunteers max, that aided in small things such as events or minor account issues. All with restricted access. They would also have the ability to hand out the occasional vetchar that was built for a story and be deleted as soon as it was over. This would dramatically increase the 'authentic feel' of events as you do not know what every main character will actually do.

Botting, bug abuse, or any rule breaking that dramatically broke/harmed the game for an extended period of time would = perma IP ban the first time around. Examples of this would include illegal sexual acts or abusing a bug that would forever destroy the IG finances, etc etc.

Having Blue Ribbon panels to facilitate all changes from pattie releases to combat to IG financial changes would dramatically help the game as well. As long as they were listened to.

Finally, I would not allow any GMs to be pulled up if they were relatives of current GMs. Especially no spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, or mistresses. All GM decisions would be made by a third party that treated any application as a real application to a job. You do not do your job on time, are caught breaking NDA, or anything else, you are out.
Old 11-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Blorp!

Send a message via MSN to Siek
Animal taming!!! I just want a fluvitur pet!

You have just been awarded 20 role points.(For being a part of the most disturbing scene I've ever been involved with in TEC. Ever.)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Doesnt type good w STress

Send a message via MSN to xiaozh
Saw the commercial for new Spielberg movie reminded me how awesome horses would be IG.

Calvary please. Kthx.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to lykatos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Powers View Post
It is also the only game that I have ever heard of/played that regulates the playerbase outside of the gameworld, even going to third party websites.

Censoring swear words is at the low end of odd quirks TEC has.

As for the point of the thread:

Remaking TEC I'd allow for a slow, yet consistent release of skillsets, areas, and items forever. Every other successful RPG I know of does this. They do not have to be major overhauls, but every four months release a new place/skill/item/whatever.

I'd also setup one paid GM from the start that has never played TEC but has a huge amount of experience coding. There are so many code monkeys flooding the market that are looking for a $5 an hour job at 40 hours a week, you would have a 1,000 applications a week.

I'd have 2 to 3 volunteers max, that aided in small things such as events or minor account issues. All with restricted access. They would also have the ability to hand out the occasional vetchar that was built for a story and be deleted as soon as it was over. This would dramatically increase the 'authentic feel' of events as you do not know what every main character will actually do.

Botting, bug abuse, or any rule breaking that dramatically broke/harmed the game for an extended period of time would = perma IP ban the first time around. Examples of this would include illegal sexual acts or abusing a bug that would forever destroy the IG finances, etc etc.

Having Blue Ribbon panels to facilitate all changes from pattie releases to combat to IG financial changes would dramatically help the game as well. As long as they were listened to.

Finally, I would not allow any GMs to be pulled up if they were relatives of current GMs. Especially no spouses, girlfriends, boyfriends, or mistresses. All GM decisions would be made by a third party that treated any application as a real application to a job. You do not do your job on time, are caught breaking NDA, or anything else, you are out.
Great read
Kudos +1
[Success: 5, Roll: 58] You step forward, grasping your retalq axe in one hand tightly and lifting it above your head, before striking downwards in a powerful blow aimed at a gladiator! Critical Hit! Thrust to the face leaves a gladiator bleeding profusely from the cheek!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMagi View Post
your chopping motion turned into a straight thrust, cool trick that.
Troll Fail level OVER 9000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenh View Post
True, and i guess it could kill my character if i argue too much with you.
Sooooo much win!
Old 11-17-2011, 02:52 AM

Saying a Pwipe would fix things is like saying killing all the master martial artists would make kung-fu better for the noobs. Sure, it'll make noobs feel more powerful, but then we would definitely lose players because there would be nothing holding you onto your time-invested character.

However, I do agree that stats' relative importance should be lessened. This could be done by simply multiplying skill rank bonuses across the board. So the 24 rank bonus difference between exceptional and inhuman agility would stay the same, but it wouldn't mean as much.

I also think the rank-bonus modifier per rank should be adjusted from an inverse exponential function (graph looks like someone driving a car off a cliff) to a logistic function (graph starts the same but then car spouts wings and glides in for a landing). This would mean that rank bonuses decrease in utility at an increasing rate at first (just like they do now), but then after a certain point the marginal decrease in utility flattens out as it reaches 0. This would do two things: shorten time to get to a rank-bonus near the masters, but put a larger margin between grand-masters. Mathematically the curve looks like Y = 1 / (1 + e^X), where Y is the rank-bonus, and X is the rank. This makes noobs happy because they're closer to being good faster, and makes old players happy because it means they actually have an easier chance of affecting outcomes with serious investments of time.

Oh, and while we're at it: when you walk to the ramp to the ferry, have it automatically lead you on and off the ferry when it arrives. Start with 5 attacks at rank 1 when you learn a skillset. And add a graphical inventory management list to the client (so you don't have to worry about the 18th corpse being the one you want, you just click on it). And at least have enough starting quests that make the player go to all the locations they may need in the future: supplies, armor, baths, hospice (important!), bank, hunting grounds (sewers/island), and more tutorials about rotating attacks, @mtarg, and what to do if attacked, and when injured. Also, freebie accounts should have Google text ads plastered everywhere.
Maybe a new 'general' skill called "wait". Which allows you to wait for boats/caravans etc. Each rank could give you a 1% chance not to miss it so at rank 100 you'd be best at catching the boats whilst AFK, and it would also provide a benefit to ranking it up.

Last edited by mr_unlucky; 11-17-2011 at 08:17 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: