Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > The Eternal City > The Eternal City Mechanics

View Poll Results: Should we condense the gameworld?
Yes, absolutely. 5 12.20%
No, definately not. 31 75.61%
Maybe 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 PM

There is no incentive to role play, as a freebie account.

*Edited for Mature Audiences*
[Disclaimer]: Any "trolling", malicious comments, unwarranted rudeness, childish, immature comments, purposeful attempts to derail the subject at hand, or anything else I deem offensive or detracting in any forum except eternal noise will be reported as such immediately.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Big Furry Woodsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by extraha View Post
There is no incentive to role play, as a freebie account.
Guess I RP without much incentive then.
Xianna exclaims to you, "And even when unconscious you still attract beautiful women, you lecher!"
Ravenlark pats you.
Ravenlark says to you, "I promise not to abuse you in your sleep. Much."
Old 05-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Straight :G

Send a message via AIM to Elsana Send a message via MSN to Elsana
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticdark View Post
i think using @sp-to-gsp should be usable on a freebie account also as its earned sp not like it was free
Yeah that.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 AM
Darth Platipus

Send a message via ICQ to Rupert Send a message via AIM to Rupert
Frankly, I think the GM's would be better off throwing a lot more RP's around a lot more of the time, than adjusting the policies of freebie accounts. If someone has 1000 RP's sitting around awarded through spontaneous roleplay, he's probably going to pay 12.99 for a month of service to use it.

An idea: Why hasn't Skotos hosted an inter-game event, yet? Why aren't we trying to get players from other Skotos games to come play TEC? Or Vice Versa? Why not setup a week long event where you offer players from other Skotos games a free level 1 vetchar, and everyone in TEC 4x the RP accumulattion rate? With that, you have characters coming in completely by-passing the awkward noobie phase, wanting to be on because of high RP accumulation rates, interacting and RP'ing with everyone.

I don't understand why we don't do more of this.

Speaking of not doing more of, why aren't we taking more advantage of the Vetchar system as a whole? I know that TEC periodically (Every few years or so, it seems) Sends out messages to old players to advertise upcoming perks that might interest them. The last one I can think of is the Freebie accounts.

Why aren't we offering people who haven't played in years vetchars to come back to? I know I'm not going to cry unfair if you get 100 new characters in the game by sending out a mass E-mail offering everyone a level 2-4 vetchar who hasn't played in years, even if I don't get one. The program has its problems undoubtedly, but it obviously has merit. Lets get the most out of it?

You mean it's true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phwoar View Post
Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elowynn View Post
Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:07 AM

Rupert, you on the right track! +1! You make me excited. Seriously. Certainly GIVE freebie accounts rps. I mean, the least theyll do is in 10 years when theyve accumulated 10k rps, theyll pay 12.99 to buy another character slot! Just think Skotos, you would have got $0 from that person in twice as long if it wernt for the rps being given out!

Genius.

Also, although i resisted wanting to post it, an idea came to me for a way to punish people who are caught farming RPs...reduce their rp use privileges to that of a freebie account...I know what you are saying, but they PAID for those! Certainly. That man who murdered that family with his glock 22, dont you think he said that when they TOOK his gun from him?

[Disclaimer]: Any "trolling", malicious comments, unwarranted rudeness, childish, immature comments, purposeful attempts to derail the subject at hand, or anything else I deem offensive or detracting in any forum except eternal noise will be reported as such immediately.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 AM
Thread Terrorist

I like Ruperts ideas. Offering vet packs as a lure to old players would definately see an influx of players. Allowing free accounts to accumulate rps but not spend them is great as well. Once they start paying to spend their RPS, they'll be hooked. At the very least they're going to pay for a month once they've accumulated enough RPS to use.

These need to be brought to Shannon's attention immediately. Quick easy ways for Skotos and TEC to grow.

In the immortal words of John Travolta: "There's no way this doesn't have a happy ending!"

Last edited by Dink; 05-14-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Couldn't help myself
Old 05-14-2012, 08:40 AM

I am a huge fan of giving new accounts a nice bonus character.

If you make a new account you should start with a talent in the bank a few misc pieces of armor/tradesmen items and like 250-500 GSP.

This would eliminate the terrible beginning grind, you could get a few skills and learn killing blow.

I think 250 gsp is perfect. Then allow them to get another 100 sp on the practice dummy, so they can get used to the combat system. Lots of AUX channel reminders if they have any questions.

The ONLY problem I see is, griefers making new accounts power training and attacking people. But as long as they are in character about it I dont see any issues with more weakling criminals running around attacking and looting. That is what the constables are for...policing griefers since 1998
Old 05-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Thread Terrorist

Griefers aren't the real danger. It's people creating new accounts and transferring the money and items to existing characters.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:49 AM
The Eternal Optimist

Send a message via MSN to Miri_arielle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink View Post
Griefers aren't the real danger. It's people creating new accounts and transferring the money and items to existing characters.
This is why we can't have nice things.
Taking things out of context ftw:
<Wallace thinks aloud: Leonias, Cleburnus, Occulo and work your way down the list.>
Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
Giant demon badger

The other thing I'd like to see (And I think we had this back when that dude was alive at the Toga, but maybe not) is a real interactive tutorial, which leads people deeper into the storylines of TEC.

I volunteer Badgers for some of the writing duties here if GMs can code.

But in a similar way that the GMs can now use "rumors" to inform you of things when you wake up, these NPCs (1 - 3 NPCs) can pass along info, hints, and such mixed in with normal tutorial stuff.

So maybe like the same guy that sends you running off to buy lanterns and oil can also direct you towards a certain wine-shop in the Harbor, or can warn you about certain famous bandits on the road (Like: Watch out for a guy in a black faceless helmet on the road!")

It shouldn't be that hard for GMs to give them new info to dispense and delete some of the old stuff, maybe. Anyway, I will look into this more if people are interested once I can get back into Midlight. (Can't access TEC or event scheduler from my work comp, sorry!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked.com, on "Pottermore"
But if there is real, player vs player dueling enabled, a whole realm of emergent-gameplay opportunities open up that can be used to wreck everything for everyone. We already know how this will play out - wrecking a community isn't a new hobby, not since the Vikings invented player-killing in the eighth century
Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Blorp!

Send a message via MSN to Siek
I played on a freebie account for about a year after I came back to TEC and it did not in any way discourage me from getting involved in role play.
The point of the entire game is role play. So I jumped back in.
Now... when I decided I wanted to do more with my character and access the rest of my characters... yeah I went ahead and paid for it.
But the freebie account is great for that time period where you're either broke or you're just not sure how stuck you want to get on this game.
And you can still gain rp from time to time if a GM sees you contributing in a way or another and they reward you.
Should you gain 1000 rp in a couple months? No.. but I would be happy to see the GM staff become a little more liberal with sharing for good role play.

And as far as the ferry and drover go (back to the real subject)...
I think the trip to Monlon is relatively short. It's never bothered me.
The trip to RV... yeah if you miss the drover, just do something else for a while cause your plans are botched. Maybe have multiple drovers going back and forth all day. The trip there isn't too long... it's the wait for the drover.

You have just been awarded 20 role points.(For being a part of the most disturbing scene I've ever been involved with in TEC. Ever.)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Registered Abuser

If you need -incentive- to roleplay, you're in the wrong game.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzy View Post
If you need -incentive- to roleplay, you're in the wrong game.
Oh. Ok, all for nerfing the RP system say Aye...

Even though i was under the impression that the RP system was in place to reward players for roleplaying...an incentive(?) based system...

Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered Abuser

You get RP's for being logged in, not for roleplaying.

You get BP's for roleplaying therefore increasing your RP gain rate, yes, and you may get a bonus RP's from a GM for good RP, sure.

But seriously, if you find you need incentive to roleplay, I just can't see why you would want to play a game that is RP enforced like TEC. The incentives lovely, but it shouldn't be necessary. There's plenty of muds out there that have weak, if any RP. I'll happily give you a list if you want.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:54 PM

Cool, so besides advertising for other muds, could you give us a list of who has received BPs?

I bet no current freebie accounts have received BPs...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: