Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > The Eternal City > The Eternal City Mechanics

View Poll Results: Should we condense the gameworld?
Yes, absolutely. 5 12.20%
No, definately not. 31 75.61%
Maybe 5 12.20%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2011, 07:55 AM

Consolidating the gameworld

What would be the objections to condensing the gameworld, making it easier to get from town to town, etc? I.e. Shrink the grasslands/woods. Add in more caravan mechanics from city to vet, vet to blackvine. Obviously if it were done there would have to be some magical ooc oversight on ours and gm's parts, but I think it'd be for the better. The game is too big for what dwindling numbers we have over the last few years. And as much as some people would like it to be it isn't a one player game.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 AM
The Red Cyclone

I'm going to go ahead and say that the Gameworld isn't 'too large'. Most games worth their salt are large. The main issue is that there are no 'short cuts' in the Game to allow characters to travel faster to get to main 'Staging Areas'.

Most large gameworlds (FFXI, WoW, or Diablo II etc) have waypoints, teleport beacons, or warp to allow characters to travel seamlessly amongst large worlds that would literally take hours to travel by manual route. While I don't encourage necessarily those labels in particular, I would definitely recommend utilizing the idea of it. For example: Caravans that start at each city and travel to different cities. (Iridine to RV, Iridine to BV, Iridine to Vet Road, Iridine to Monlon, Vetallun to Monlon, Vetallun to RV etc) These Caravan travels should be short, fast, but most importantly, it should act in the manner of Waypoints in games where one can just go to a specific caravan-location and move seamlessly into another part of the Gameworld without having to wait for a Drover to wait for them.

Ex Chao Venit Claritas
From Chaos comes Clarity
Old 04-29-2011, 08:38 AM

I'd be willing to pay money to instantly ride a caravan to another city, as opposed to waiting 20 minutes for the Rock Valley drover to go, "Let's go!". Let's the ride take as long as usual, but I hate waiting for the bastard to go.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Giant demon badger

I think the Vet/Blackvine route is OK, because the caravan is money/training/fun, and the road is good for bandit drama. However, I also would pay money if it didn't take me 45 RL minutes to get to Monlon. Monlon's a great setting for a lot of things, and it might get more love if it could be reached in the time it takes to get to Blackvine.

As far as the OP's point, about having too much gameworld? I'm not sure. On the one hand, I don't know how many people go to Blackvine and spend time there, (though with the BVM getting active again that's changing?) Similarly, I never see anything in the City west of the Toga, other than piles of cut pouches. And the new "suburbs" (that double-row of Domii south of the gardens) is also terrifyingly barren.

On the other hand, the forests/swamps seem to be the right size given the amount of TM/outdoors people that spend time out there. There's not much to do in Vet, but it's small. Monlon... we'll see how it goes there, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked.com, on "Pottermore"
But if there is real, player vs player dueling enabled, a whole realm of emergent-gameplay opportunities open up that can be used to wreck everything for everyone. We already know how this will play out - wrecking a community isn't a new hobby, not since the Vikings invented player-killing in the eighth century
Old 04-29-2011, 11:07 AM
downbeats at 2-4kicksnare

Send a message via AIM to Armataan Send a message via MSN to Armataan Send a message via Yahoo to Armataan
Exploration is as important an aspect of a MUD as roleplay/socialization or encounter/challenges are. Bactrian is heavily invested in 2 of the areas to the point where he sees inclusion of the other two as -bad game design- but it doesn't make it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinianQuartz View Post
HAIL CULEXUS
Old 04-29-2011, 11:13 AM

I don't agree with shortening the game world--I like how massive it is.

That being said, it's hard to be a casual TEC gamer, or if you're really limited to time, because it takes 45 minutes to an hour just to GET to some of the hunting areas you want to go. I'd like it if there was more of an option for fast traveling one way or another...

That being said, I really, REALLY miss the ladder to Monlon. Making the ferry murdered it.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:06 PM

I voted definitely not. Making a quicker route from Iridine to Vet or Vet to Blackvine would effectively kill the need for the TM or the BVM, it's an important RP aspect of the game as much as it is a utility part of the game traveling the roads.

On the other hand, getting to places where there is no chance of RP entering in, like going to Rock Valley or the Boat to Monlon, I whole heartedly agree that these travel times should be shortened dramatically. Every ten minutes a boat or drover should take off to either end and the trip only take 5 minutes, it'd be much akin to a long ferry ride to the island where ferry's leave both ends at the same time and make tickets like 100 denars or something.

If we'd like to effectively expand our game world to make more aspects of it more played, I agree with others when 45 minutes to an hour travel time deters most anyone, including me, from exploring and utilizing these areas. The game has great zones many players don't explore anymore due to time restraints on getting to them.

Free Monlon and Rock Valley from time restraints!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:21 PM

Has anyone here played Everquest? When it first came out? That gameworld was/is huge. Back in the day the game had no waypoints. If you died.. 6 hour walk.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweninger View Post
Has anyone here played Everquest? When it first came out? That gameworld was/is huge. Back in the day the game had no waypoints. If you died.. 6 hour walk.
^

However, seeing as how they effectively changed that with Luclin, and then again with the implementation of the Guild Hall, it's taken a turn for the better.

World of Warcraft has even effectively cut out the large time sink known as 'travel'.

Wiped Trakanon raids made me sad back in the day, no matter how much win the Jaundice Boned Breastplate was.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Giant demon badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorMDavis View Post
Boned Breastplate
Heh?

(heh?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked.com, on "Pottermore"
But if there is real, player vs player dueling enabled, a whole realm of emergent-gameplay opportunities open up that can be used to wreck everything for everyone. We already know how this will play out - wrecking a community isn't a new hobby, not since the Vikings invented player-killing in the eighth century
Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Iridine's Hero

Send a message via AIM to Marnevel
Nah, this would be lame. You just need more players, not less space.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Trusted Mislead3r

Concur with Marnevel, though I will say it can grow a little annoying at times to have to travel -that- far. In the city is nothing, but outside of Iridine it does get a little stressful. If you -were- to make it so that you could have near-instantaneous travel (like horses, carriages, caravans, etc.), you should make it either prohibitively expensive to ride within as well as pretty dangerous, too. If you're condensing the time it takes to travel that far you should also condense the danger as well.

You can't bring sexy back without a receipt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xiaozh View Post
I got XCIX problems but a troll ain't one.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct View Post
Concur with Marnevel, though I will say it can grow a little annoying at times to have to travel -that- far. In the city is nothing, but outside of Iridine it does get a little stressful. If you -were- to make it so that you could have near-instantaneous travel (like horses, carriages, caravans, etc.), you should make it either prohibitively expensive to ride within as well as pretty dangerous, too. If you're condensing the time it takes to travel that far you should also condense the danger as well.
This right here
Old 04-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to lykatos
I'm with Bactrian! Burn down a 1/3rd of it! We'll kill 3 birds with 1 stone! Get rid of rarely used and out of the way areas, we'll have the global event everyone was asking for and we the players will have helped shape the game world!

I'm making a woodsman today!
[Success: 5, Roll: 58] You step forward, grasping your retalq axe in one hand tightly and lifting it above your head, before striking downwards in a powerful blow aimed at a gladiator! Critical Hit! Thrust to the face leaves a gladiator bleeding profusely from the cheek!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchMagi View Post
your chopping motion turned into a straight thrust, cool trick that.
Troll Fail level OVER 9000!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenh View Post
True, and i guess it could kill my character if i argue too much with you.
Sooooo much win!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 PM

I think the games to small. its takes about 15 minutes tops to get from the stone toga in to black vine. THAT AINT BAD..

The only things that take time are the monlon ferry, and the Rock valley drover.

Have the rock valley droves discover a new path to rock valley thats inhabited with bandits, so its faster, but you have a decent chance of getting attacking.

A burly drover appears.
A burly drover says "any brave fighters out there headed to rock valley this might be a rough ride" ( no pun intended. )

Make the monlon ferry run faster, or add a second ferry or even three.

but it really doesnt take that long to navigate around the game.

Mounts might be a good idea, but it would totally put a damper on banditing and take away a huge element to the gameworld.
We dont have magic, so no teleporting crap.
Compared to final fanatasy 11 where it takes 30-50 minutes just to get to your hunting ground.
or Wow where it could take you 20 mins of run time if you die in a big instance.

Its a MMO travel time is part of the game, if you want more interaction in the game, bring more clients into the game, better advertising, maybe incentives to vote so we can be up in the top 10 again....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: