Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > Lovecraft Country > Arkham by Night Bugs

Old 06-04-2008, 04:06 AM

Deck of Card Problem

After some testing, I can reproducible cause this error. It's a neat trick and in my log above, I edited out a line which I thought was extraneous, but turns out to be the cause of the problem. Here's a new log:
> exa my deck
You examine your deck of red-backed playing cards.
A deck of red-backed playing cards with 52 cards left. The cards are made from a simple cardstock and have a faint glossy sheen to them.
(OOC: Use the verb 'understand' on the deck for syntax help, eg. 'understand my deck'.)
> deal 2 cards from deck to me
You deal two cards to yourself.
> exa my deck
A deck of red-backed playing cards with 50 cards left. The cards are made from a simple cardstock and have a faint glossy sheen to them.
(OOC: Use the verb 'understand' on the deck for syntax help, eg. 'understand my deck'.)
> deal 2 cards faceup from deck to desk
You can only deal cards face-up on to an object, rather than to a specific person.
> deal 2 cards faceup from deck on desk
You deal two cards face-up on an office desk, revealing the nine of diamonds and the six of diamonds.
> exa deck
A deck of red-backed playing cards with 47 cards left. The cards are made from a simple cardstock and have a faint glossy sheen to them.

The bold, underlined line where you deal TO the desk is what causes the deck to magically lose 1 card when you do finally make the deal. Here's the reproducible log:

> exa my deck
A deck of red-backed playing cards with 49 cards left. The cards are made from a simple cardstock and have a faint glossy sheen to them.
> deal 3 cards faceup from deck to desk
You can only deal cards face-up on to an object, rather than to a specific person.
> exa deck
A deck of red-backed playing cards with 49 cards left. The cards are made from a simple cardstock and have a faint glossy sheen to them.
> deal 3 cards faceup from deck on desk
You deal three cards face-up on an office desk, revealing the queen of spades, the nine of clubs and the ace of clubs.
> exa deck
A deck of red-backed playing cards with 45 cards left. The cards are made from a simple cardstock and have a faint glossy sheen to them.
> deal 3 cards faceup from deck to desk
> deal 3 cards faceup from deck on desk
You deal three cards face-up on an office desk, revealing the four of clubs, the six of hearts and the eight of spades.
> exa deck
A deck of red-backed playing cards with 41 cards left. The cards are made from a simple cardstock and have a faint glossy sheen to them.

So, to fix the bug, you gotta find out what exactly the code is doing when you deal TO an object instead of a person (on, atop work with dealing cards at an object, it's TO that's the problem. I haven't tried the whole suite of prepositions to check them, however), and why it will always deal out (and then destroy) an extra card when it does finally correctly deal on the object.

[Originally posted by Oliver White]
Old 06-04-2008, 04:12 AM

Dealing cards to the room or room details causes the card to disappear.

Womem's dorms, Suite F.

> deal 5 cards from my deck on 1st desk
You deal five cards on the sitting room.
> l
You look around.
Doors face each other from the northern and southern sides of this dimly-lit sitting room, and a wide, curtained window takes up most of the western side of the room.

Desks are pushed up against the wall in the northwestern and southwestern corners of the room, under the window. Straight-back chairs stand before the desks.

You are standing near the southern door.

> take cards
You see no cards here.
> l at 1st desk
You look at the northwestern desk.
A simple wooden desk, shoved into the northwestern corner. A straight-backed chair stands before the desk.

> take cards from here
You see no cards here.

> take cards from 1st desk
You see no cards here.

[Originally reported by Pyra Wildflower]
Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Maker of trees and shrubs

After a week of losing cards to the mystical void, I'm mostly confident that I've fixed the above mentioned bugs with decks of cards. Dealing cards from a deck should now properly put the card on any object or detail, e.g., a table in the room, the shelf under the table (if it exists), the floor, the room, pretty much whatever. Or, if you're dealing incorrectly, it should stop you and keep you from leaking cards to the aforementioned mystical void.

Also there was a bug with the cards in that its face would sometimes be visible when it was supposed to be hidden. Interestingly, it wasn't you that would see it, but everyone else in the room, if you interacted with it. Very, very bad for playing poker with! That's been fixed as well, although the bug seems to be a system-level issue that I can't address, only work around (so my fix might still fail at times.)

If anyone plays around with cards and spots something odd, or a place for improvement, let me know.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: