Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Build Games! > StoryBuilders

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 3.48 average. Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:37 AM

Announcing: Jovian Skies

The Pitch
Jovian Skies is a MUD that takes place aboard the Jupiter Caelestis, a massive prototypical airship gone rogue. Since his defection, Grand Admiral Malachai Aurelius has been rescuing POWs and political prisoners from the Solian Empire's jails. He then helps them recover, trains them, and allows them to take on various roles aboard the ship, with the hope of eventually taking on the Empire itself.
The story takes place in a 19th-century-esque steampunk world dominated by a massive empire. The players are able to take part in the main plot, as they are joining the rebellion under the Captain's command. The players will spend most of their time aboard the Jupiter, and will occasionally be able to explore cities that it docks at. The players will be able (as numbers grow) to directly control almost all aspects of the ship's operation, from the engines, to the guns, to the bridge (piloting), as well as manage various internal roles like security, cleaning, entertaining, and cooking.

The Plot
The basic synopsis of the game is that Grand Admiral Malachai Aurelius, given command of the Jupiter Caelestis on its launch, has gone rouge, using his ship's immense might to combat the Solian Empire, the government under whose employ he once was and whose domain stretches across three continents. The player is a former POW of the Solian Empire, whose memory was blanked by excessive exposure to the aether. The Grand Admiral plucks the unknowing player from the field of battle and leaves them in isolation until the effects of the aether wear off. The player is taken on as a crewmember for this new vessel, to help the captain in his fight.
The primary conflict of the game is between the Grand Admiral and the Solian Empire; in effect, he is trying to violently overthrow the government of Solia, to stop their war machine from dominating the entire world. The player's role in this conflict is to assist him by performing the various tasks required to keep the ship up to speed. This will entail fighting off various attackers, working with the occasional landing party in acquiring supplies on shore, and of involving themselves with on-ship politics.

The Players
All players will be crew members aboard the Jupiter Caelestis. They will take on almost every role in the ship's crew, from cleaning crew to piloting to security to cooks and musicians. Different roles will be created to fit the needs of different player types: Some will be more involved, requiring more hours of direct play time in order to progress, whilst others will provide more social-based advancement. Killer-type players will eventually (although this will not be supported while the game is small) be able to join a separate crew aboard an air-pirate ship. Although the ship is large, it is small enough that players will regularly see each other. There will also be common areas where players will often spend time (the library, the mess hall, sometimes the bridge, engine rooms). Players will be required to learn certain levels of their skills from other players, and they will have to be involved in the ship community in order to succeed, overall.

The Team
Our team, Red Skies Group, is currently composed of 7 people: A lead mechanics designer with games industry experience who will also be the lead coder, myself as producer/director of the project, as well as assistant writer and coder (and whatever else needs my attention), a writing major as the main plot writer for the game, and four friends who are willing to help build the actual world, one of which has been working with various other MUDs for several years.

...and we're still looking!

The whole proposal has been faxed to Skotos, and we're currently waiting for their reply. I'm posting this here to get a feel for community reactions, as well as find more potential S*s that would like to jump aboard the project.
This post is pretty general, so if you want details on anything in particular, just ask. We have detailed descriptions for most of the game at this point, and we're ready to start production as soon as we get the green light.
If you're interested in joining the team, please e-mail me at jovianskies[at]gmail[dot]com, or PM me through these boards! Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Ameko; 01-16-2008 at 11:54 AM. Reason: new e-mail
Old 01-18-2008, 08:31 PM

Got another coder. Awesome.

Really, guys, feel free to post any thoughts >_>
Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Orcish Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameko View Post
I'm posting this here to get a feel for community reactions
I really like the airship-picking-up-prisoners idea, mechanically. It gives a solid in-game reason for new characters to suddenly show up in the game, and gives a good explanation for why they might not want to leave. And, it makes it easy to modify access to new parts of the game world - the airship going to different places.

Regarding the memory loss, I at first didn't think it was necessary, given that the rest of setting gives a very good reason for disconnects from the character's past. If I were to suggest something, it'd be to let the players decided how much or if their character's memory has been wiped. Perhaps have a machine on the ship that can restore memories, but is less than fully successful on most people.

Of course, a character's memory being lost gives a very good reason for being 'told everything about the world' in-character. And discovery can sometimes be much more fun than knowing it all already.

Whatever you choose (and I doubt I'll change your course; you seem to have things well-organized), I expect you'll have some players that want to give their characters some memories anyway - I've seen it in every new-characters-lose-previous-memories game I've seen.

All in all, it looks very good. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 PM
The Jerk

Send a message via AIM to Eddy Send a message via MSN to Eddy Send a message via Skype™ to Eddy
Last time I talked to Skotos (about 3 weeks ago) they weren't taking new game proposals. May be better off looking for an independent host.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:12 AM

Hm, thanks.
I've been e-mailing them for almost two weeks, and haven't gotten any replies. We're going to wait a couple more days for some kind of answer. Else, we'll just do it ourselves.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:38 PM

This feels almost pointless now, but hey...

...I got another coder, and another builder.

Still nothing from skotos, and I don't feel like e-mailing them about it anymore. blech.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

As folks have said, we're not accepting new proposals at this time. We actually haven't had the StoryBuilder pages linked from our web site for years, but clearly we should just add a big redirect for any hidden and archived links.

If you'd like to participate in the StoryBuilding side of things, and we encourage you to do so, the best answer is to get involved with an existing game, and once you've grown familiar with it, let the staff know that you'd like to participate as a builder, offering them up a creative resume.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:35 PM
The Jerk

Send a message via AIM to Eddy Send a message via MSN to Eddy Send a message via Skype™ to Eddy
So much for being the Geocities of gaming.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:54 PM
A Man of Wealth and Taste

From what I can tell, Skotos needs more players. To get more players, more games would help. Especially games with great ideas like this one. Yet Skotos wants no more games.
"This Is Beetle, Is As Bad As Can"
Beetlejuice
"It takes guts to run away, you know. Lots of people would be as cowardly as me if they were brave enough"
Rincewind
Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Ninja Turtle

hmm

Get rid of the air part, fill it with guild members, modify Iridines port, code a few outlying nations and start smuggling hoods. No seriously some games desprately need the help you could offer find one and work the arc enough you could both benefit greatly. Dont give up
Old 08-03-2008, 10:13 PM

An update, because you wanted it.

So, as it turns out, I found myself with quite a bit of time this summer. Time to learn to code... and time to start doing so.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to start working on making a MUD with this idea, but as it turns out, I do.

I'm writing my own mud engine from scratch. A bunch of the systems are already in place, and I expect it'll be up in a very basic (read: subset-of-marrach basic) state, ready for mass-building, in about a month or two. I'm not gonna start recruiting anyone just yet, but if you're interested in doing any coding or building, please feel free to PM me (the e-mail above isn't used anymore).

If you just want to be kept up-to-date on status, just keep an eye on this board. I'll post about it if/when the game goes live (don't get your hopes up too much, though!)
Old 08-04-2008, 09:15 AM
Undead C.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameko View Post
So, as it turns out, I found myself with quite a bit of time this summer. Time to learn to code... and time to start doing so.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to start working on making a MUD with this idea, but as it turns out, I do.

I'm writing my own mud engine from scratch. A bunch of the systems are already in place, and I expect it'll be up in a very basic (read: subset-of-marrach basic) state, ready for mass-building, in about a month or two. I'm not gonna start recruiting anyone just yet, but if you're interested in doing any coding or building, please feel free to PM me (the e-mail above isn't used anymore).

If you just want to be kept up-to-date on status, just keep an eye on this board. I'll post about it if/when the game goes live (don't get your hopes up too much, though!)
Hey, nice initiative 'Meko. And staying power too.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temor View Post
Hey, nice initiative 'Meko. And staying power too.
What can I say? I'm really stubborn, and I like the idea behind Jovian Skies, so I'll do whatever I can to get it to go live
Old 08-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Loveable Guy

I would like to join

I am applying my email is apelikepresident@yahoo.com, you can email me or PM me
Old 08-10-2008, 09:30 PM
The neverending tale of..

If you are looking for a place to run your game temporarily or perm, I would suggest BYOND. However, you have to know coding or know others who can code for you. You can also look into FPSC (but you have to pay for software and it is mostly for graphical game setting). I have personally tried BYOND, and also a personal hosting service through a network of coders/builders, which I'm currently using. If you are looking for something like this or hoping to set up a community like Iron realms or skotos, I would suggest that you post your game ideas and some stories online. It will take time, but it is a great way to find others who may support and host your game ideas. This can be done by making a website and/or posting on a gaming or coding website.

Here is what I have done by steps:

Wrote my game concept/ideas:

-How it would run
-Purpose of the game
-Special features

Wrote plot stories that included:

-Poems used in game
-Mythes
-Plots (short Stories)
-Scenery Descriptions

I had some interested personnel at this point. Since we can establish my grammar is not perfect, it was great that two interested persons that were published writers. There were also three coders and one builder that worked out some other details to add to my game, such as time calculations and accurate maps.

A web designer volunteered to make and host a website as well. My gift is imagination and storytelling :-). I leave most of the rest to them, but it is also great if you do learn some coding yourself, it can certainly make things easier. BYOND has a great beginners tutorial, and there are more advanced ones you can find online. I would suggest reading *Zilal* to get your feet wet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: