Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > Monsters! Monsters! > Grendel's Revenge Mechanics

Old 12-20-2002, 08:42 AM
Elder Wyvern

Stuck in a closest

So, I understand that some trapping tactics are not only frowned on by the staff, but they will intervene if done. Specifically, I'm thinking of an old standby:

Invader passes through an almost destroyed tunnel and into a room with only the tunnel as an exit. The tunnel is quickly destroyed, trapping the invader into one structure.

Result is the GMs will grab the invader and remove them from this trap. But how many rooms do there need to be before they wouldn't do this? I'll give an example:

Common tactic in advanced lairs is to cut off the second level and use a teleporter for the clan to get down there. Now there are times a clan would open up stairs to make carrying masses of resources deeper into the lair quicker. So what if an invader slips past the clan as they are doing this. They go deep in a lair and wait for the right moment to strike. Only, when they finally do so, the clan has destroyed the exit to the first level and they are stuck in this enemy lair.

or more believably:

A group of monsters invade a lair. They are lead by a 100th level monster. There are ramps all the way down to the 5th level which this group takes. Only down on that level, their leader dies. Without anyone who is 50th level, they can't get off that level. They have the whole level they can explore, but can't get away until someone of the clan ends up killing them.

Mainly, I'm asking because I feel my lair design is lacking something. Only it seems as good tactics are devised, OOC steps in to invalidate them. Now I understand the insubstantial bug that once happened and how people got stuck in a room with no exits because they followed someone where they shouldn't have been able to go.

Also I ask because at some point I might have the storypoints to get a special room. Lair design and tactics would greatly end up affecting this though. Plus I love designing lairs in new and frustrating ways.
<sarcasm> I'm sure Fali just loves that. </sarcasm>
Old 12-20-2002, 09:13 AM

Musty scrolls are common enough that everyone should have one at all times anyway... But if a player actually gets trapped anywhere such that they can no longer play the game, It's the right thing to do for the GMs to extract them from that situation.
Old 12-20-2002, 09:41 AM
Orcish Scribe

I think that such deviousness is indeed in character, and should be allowed, but there needs to be some way to let people to continue. Perhaps there could be a time-consuming, very detrimental ritual or something to kill yourself (other than black with flecks... heh). I'm thinking multiple favor loss, and hours or days to complete. But available, without need for GM intervention.

If someone were trapped, and had a clan or grumble, perhaps their friends could barter for the trapped person's release, to avoid the high cost of the ritual.

The only signifigant problem with this I can see is that would allow the possibility for major teleport abuse.

Musties: Don't leave home without em.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:29 PM

Ransom!

Most people will not play a game they have to pay for only to have their play restricted for days at serious character costs.

I like the idea of being able to pay out ransome from your personal hoard tho. It gives a value to hoarding in personal chambers rather than the clan hoard, permits egress from a play restricting situation, and gives clans another method for income.

Ransoming could be fun! Maybe even allow the monster's Master to ransome them too... from their own personal hoard.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:33 PM
Stun Monkey

heheh.

you can always roleplay a kidnapping. That's actually a good idea.
I must not lag. Lag is the game-killer. Lag is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my lag. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the lag has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

<Toasty the Gryphon grumbles: [ I had a visual of Lurekus as, like .. a mummified Mr. Clean.. ]>

Old 12-20-2002, 02:37 PM
The First - Mad Scientist

hahah
Fleshlings, hide your youngins... someones getting kidnapped.
*grins at Lurekus.*

If you dont like it, Let me know and I will be glad to P.M. you some suggestions with what you can do with yourself.

Brecan says to Jinn the Hydra, "Go away. Nobody likes you."
Old 12-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Forever Enamored

Send a message via AIM to Redric
It shouldn't take days, I think it should take two hours, I mean, if you commit a crime in TEC, you can find yourself in prison, and two hours seems ok to me. I would say that a two hour process to kill yourself would be nice.
Originally Posted by A Dwarf Engineer
Crossbows were good and fine, but nowadays, a gun is better - and if a gun is good, then an automated self-aiming gyro-mounted gun turret with a cyclic grenade feeder and napalm cannister is even better yet!
Old 12-20-2002, 06:17 PM

I'll bet you won't have any issues with SGs or GMs if you leave your 'prison' as two rooms. One they teleport into...the other heavily trapped. You then have left them with a way out...they can choose to die.

Spam and peanut brittle sandwiches on rye with mayo and mustard taste bad.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:19 PM
Golden Dragon

if you commit a crime, well said.

but this not TEC. what is a crime here?
there is no law system that i know of.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Orcish Scribe

Quote:
Originally posted by Arcano
if you commit a crime, well said.

but this not TEC. what is a crime here?
there is no law system that i know of.
And no one's suggesting there is. But what he's saying is, that waiting 2 hours because you goofed and got trapped, rather than being stuck for eternity or going OOC for SG intervention, is a better solution. And besides, you may have to wait longer than 2 hours for an SG to intervene anyway...

I just think that caving in a tunnel to trap someone is very realistic, and should be supported, but without permanantly ruining characters.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:45 AM
Elder Wyvern

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackhand
I just think that caving in a tunnel to trap someone is very realistic, and should be supported, but without permanantly ruining characters.
Actually tends to be my state of being 90% of the time in my lair. Though it's self created.

Definitly thanks on the comments. It's given me a few ideas on what might be possible in my dream lair.

I'd love to see a kidnapping plot happen. Though it does require enough of the clan of the kidnapped ... er monsternapped to try to gather the reward and enact vengance.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:21 AM
Orcish Scribe

Quote:
Originally posted by Boghl the Wyvrn
I'd love to see a kidnapping plot happen. Though it does require enough of the clan of the kidnapped ... er monsternapped to try to gather the reward and enact vengance.
It also requires one of the monsters NOT being being Lurekus. Though he may just be annoyed enough to enact vengeance anyway. But even if he did, it wouldn't quite be a kidnapping.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: