Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > The Eternal City > Eternal City Administrivia

Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Ninja Turtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by lykatos View Post
A number of players have tried "gather and return" quests in the past using generic things in our game world. Why not make these automated systems? IE: A looking man (In or near Blackvine) offering people unique (but not valuable) items in exchange for animal parts or bodies. For example you can have him offer workable animal hides (renamed doeskin [so tailors can get something to do]) or similar materials in exchange for items you turn in. Finding creative things to do with existing items goes a long way.
I was trying to find the "What are you guys doing up there?" thread, and got distracted. Still can't quickly find it, so I'll say it here:

A mission system is one of the top things right now. I working on a minor project here over the next days or so (being able to repair lean-tos to extend their life), and then I'm starting 'combat' missions as it were (collect, kill, or rescue) around the Vetallun/Blackvine area. There is also work being done on missions for those with hunting lore. We have a lot of ideas, and instead of rewards being purely monetary, we are working on other things (bonus SP, maybe, or special items [we are always open to ideas on this front]) to give out.

Herbalism is back in development (yes, I know, dead horse, blah blah), and while it's not for me to speak of, the mechanics are mostly complete, and its on to recipes and lores.

Deeper arcs are being worked on and at least one is actively being played out. Some of us (mostly me) aren't as in tune with the rich history, and so are easing into larger arcs. Personally, I'd rather not do an event that could be contradicting current lore, and try to get as much info as I can about it. Politics and Religion in game are very hazy to me, though as Morsius' puppet-master, I've been working into it based on what I've found from other sources.

As for requests, (In response to Attica) if it's been that long and you've heard 0 at all (read: no response to your ticket), you might want to refile it, as it could have been lost, or buried. The request and report systems aren't exactly the most convenient to use systems and things slip through. I understand the frustration when it happens, but sometimes too what can happen is a GM claims the ticket, and disappears. Other GMs don't see it in queue, because it's in their list. Oversight? yes. Bug? Not really. Problem? Definitely.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to sammus12
I know it's probably impossible but if there were any way to get player support on coming up with lores and recipes for herbalism.. I would put some hours in. If there were a list of the commonly known plant-life it would be easy for us to come up with enough ideas to fill the bulk of it and GMs can put the finishing touches with some unknowns.

Also the mission/quest system would be a great addition. I approve of all of this, really, I just wish you guys weren't broken up and worked in bigger teams.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 PM

Ease up on rp costs. It takes 250 hours on basic to get another skill slot? I know you like goals for players, but spending money and then having to spend time to get something simple is a pain. Drop rp for most things, including stats. I could care less about everyone havin inhuman stats, all it means for pvp is you have to be organized?

Pnpcs cost too much, drop them wayyyy lower and people would play aroun with them, give us all 1 chat slot dedicated to a pnpc.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:34 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Attica Send a message via MSN to Attica Send a message via Skype™ to Attica
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenh View Post
Ease up on rp costs. It takes 250 hours on basic to get another skill slot? I know you like goals for players, but spending money and then having to spend time to get something simple is a pain. Drop rp for most things, including stats. I could care less about everyone havin inhuman stats, all it means for pvp is you have to be organized?

Pnpcs cost too much, drop them wayyyy lower and people would play aroun with them, give us all 1 chat slot dedicated to a pnpc.
Just as a thought: I think with this, there needs to be a penalty on extra skill slots past ... 4. Really. People knowing healing, hunting lore, and locksmithing on top of combat skills? They never have to interact with anyone else. Isn't that what this game is about? Pretty soon the only pure non-coms left will be thieves!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attica View Post
Just as a thought: I think with this, there needs to be a penalty on extra skill slots past ... 4. Really. People knowing healing, hunting lore, and locksmithing on top of combat skills? They never have to interact with anyone else. Isn't that what this game is about? Pretty soon the only pure non-coms left will be thieves!
Some people enjoy being able to be a jack-of-all-trade. Actually, I think most people do.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Attica Send a message via MSN to Attica Send a message via Skype™ to Attica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweninger View Post
Some people enjoy being able to be a jack-of-all-trade. Actually, I think most people do.
Yes, but it severely limits the play of others! I mean, ... I don't have all the time in the world to play, or to gain SP to get good at everything. I play non-coms because I am retarded with combat and I don't have Urek as a personal "learn that and that next, target this there" in my corner anymore because he dislikes discussing this game.

I just feel that when everyone knows all those skills, no one then has need to interact with anyone else, especially non-combatants. This is supposedly the year for non-coms, but I really haven't seen anything done to increase their monetary gain, or their importance, specifically for those who devote their skillsets only to one-three skills or anything like that!

Non-coms want luv, too. If you can do everything yourself, why play?!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, but it severely limits the play of others! I mean, ... I don't have all the time in the world to play, or to gain SP to get good at everything. I play non-coms because I am retarded with combat and I don't have Urek as a personal "learn that and that next, target this there" in my corner anymore because he dislikes discussing this game.

I just feel that when everyone knows all those skills, no one then has need to interact with anyone else, especially non-combatants. This is supposedly the year for non-coms, but I really haven't seen anything done to increase their monetary gain, or their importance, specifically for those who devote their skillsets only to one-three skills or anything like that!

I agree

nom nom
Old 07-23-2012, 07:38 PM
mouse at a cat convention

Quote:

Different people have fun different ways. I'm convinced that some TEC players aren't that interested in what their characters can do *now*, they're all interested in how great it will be when they've completed their current training goals and he'll have new abilities.

And of course, when that happens they won't be interested n what their character can do *then*, they'll have new training goals and they'll be thinking about how great it will be when he achieves those goals too.

When training is a way of life, what do you do after you've maxed out four or five skillsets? Doesn't it make sense then to learn new skills?

Say you're going on a trip and you need a healer and a hunter, or a healer and a locksmith. You have to protect both of them. Either of them might sleep on you just when you need them. If it isn't actively dangerous they're likely to get bored while they wait for you.

If we had a lot of players people would figure things out. We'd get lean-tos close to interesting places, with healers and locksmiths etc camped out in them, waiting for customers. But you need a lot of business to make that work.

It's damn inconvenient depending on noncoms. And people who want to train and who've run out of things to train, naturally think of training their own noncom skills.

If the GMs wanted to, they could easily enforce that. Make a maximum of say 5 skillsets. (If you use swords you need ACMs, shields, at least two gladius skillsets, and brawling, right?) Don't let characters buy more skill slots. Maybe have it depend on a skill like memory or reasoning, so people who know ahead of time they'll want extra skills have to try to roll for high reasoning along with everything else.

Here's another approach -- say you can have only two or maybe three skillsets *active* at one time. So first you train gladius and ACMs. At some point you decide that one of them is as high as you want to take it, and you declare it capped. Then you can start learning a third skill. When you're ready to cap one of your two active skills, you can start learning a fourth skill. But once you declare ACMs capped you can never go back and add anything else to it, ever again.

How long would it take for somebody to decide he's ready to lock an important skillset forever so he can learn locksmithing or skinning or bandaging?

I could imagine various ways that it could work. But each of them would annoy people who want to learn as many skills as they like.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Scoundrel

There have been many great points raised above.

For me, I honestly think what's lacking is new players. The gameworld is amazing. It's huge -- but maybe it's too big. With all these places you can be, the small playerbase is spread too thin.

More players/characters means more fun. Put fifteen characters in a room, and some storyline of some sort is going to play out.

TEC is an awesome game. We all love it. For me, I've played lots of video games from Counter-Strike, Diablo, Skyrim, etc. -- but none of them compare to TEC. In TEC, you can be anyone and do anything. It's a stage to play out your imagination, and to see what it's like to be someone you're not.

However, no matter how awesome I think it is, there are a ton of people out there who are just "put off" by a text game. A lot more people are "put off" by the idea of role-playing. It's classically been a "geeky" thing to do, and trust me -- I don't tell all my friends about this alternate life I live.

But I do tell some friends. And that's the key here people, try to get your friends involved. I've gone back to school, and so far I've recruited three people I've met in my classes to try this game. Two of them are already role-players (DnD), and one of them has played MUDs before. The great thing is, though, if I can get these guys hooked -- they'll probably tell their role-playing friends about it, too.

It's all about opening new pools/streams of players. Role-players generally already have role-playing friends. Right now, a lot of us have probably exhausted our friends when it comes to recruiting more players -- but I'm sure a lot of us haven't. It's all about word of mouth. Just talking about an attempted assassination to a friend gets them excited -- this game is exciting.

When I started playing I heard about TEC from a friend at school. Then, I told another friend -- soon we had five guys all in the same school playing TEC. We were able to think of stories, talk mechanics, etc. That was five players all at once! Five new players overnight is a big jump.

So tell your friends people! Got a friend who reads a lot? A friend who role-plays? Someone who loves fantasy or enjoys role-playing? Tell them about this game you play called TEC. If they are interested, sit down with them -- and help them create a character.

I've also been thinking about marketing this game to the masses. What would be the best way? Well -- I can think of a few ideas, but a lot of them cost money. A great example could be facebook. Tag words like role-playing, DnD, fantasy, MUD, etc. and run an add to people who have that in their profile. Perhaps with an effective ad, we could draw in 50-100 people? Even if only 20 of them stayed, they would probably tell all their RP buddies and that could translate into 100 more new players.

For me what I'm thinking I might do is make up a flier (I know one was made, but it seemed really vague to me), and go to places that host Magic Card tournements, places that sell DnD books and 20 sided die -- and ask the owners of the businesses if I can hang up my flyer.

It all comes down to us people. The GMs are doing GM things -- they don't have time to recruit more players. I feel that is something we all must work on. We can't just bitch and complain about the lack of a playerbase and do nothing about it -- when the best way to increase the playerbase is by recruiting and helping our own friends, people we already know and who probably are already interested in trying.

Sentael makes a rude dismissive gesture with his hand.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentael View Post
There have been many great points raised above.

For me, I honestly think what's lacking is new players. The gameworld is amazing. It's huge -- but maybe it's too big. With all these places you can be, the small playerbase is spread too thin.

More players/characters means more fun. Put fifteen characters in a room, and some storyline of some sort is going to play out.

TEC is an awesome game. We all love it. For me, I've played lots of video games from Counter-Strike, Diablo, Skyrim, etc. -- but none of them compare to TEC. In TEC, you can be anyone and do anything. It's a stage to play out your imagination, and to see what it's like to be someone you're not.

However, no matter how awesome I think it is, there are a ton of people out there who are just "put off" by a text game. A lot more people are "put off" by the idea of role-playing. It's classically been a "geeky" thing to do, and trust me -- I don't tell all my friends about this alternate life I live.

But I do tell some friends. And that's the key here people, try to get your friends involved. I've gone back to school, and so far I've recruited three people I've met in my classes to try this game. Two of them are already role-players (DnD), and one of them has played MUDs before. The great thing is, though, if I can get these guys hooked -- they'll probably tell their role-playing friends about it, too.

It's all about opening new pools/streams of players. Role-players generally already have role-playing friends. Right now, a lot of us have probably exhausted our friends when it comes to recruiting more players -- but I'm sure a lot of us haven't. It's all about word of mouth. Just talking about an attempted assassination to a friend gets them excited -- this game is exciting.

When I started playing I heard about TEC from a friend at school. Then, I told another friend -- soon we had five guys all in the same school playing TEC. We were able to think of stories, talk mechanics, etc. That was five players all at once! Five new players overnight is a big jump.

So tell your friends people! Got a friend who reads a lot? A friend who role-plays? Someone who loves fantasy or enjoys role-playing? Tell them about this game you play called TEC. If they are interested, sit down with them -- and help them create a character.

I've also been thinking about marketing this game to the masses. What would be the best way? Well -- I can think of a few ideas, but a lot of them cost money. A great example could be facebook. Tag words like role-playing, DnD, fantasy, MUD, etc. and run an add to people who have that in their profile. Perhaps with an effective ad, we could draw in 50-100 people? Even if only 20 of them stayed, they would probably tell all their RP buddies and that could translate into 100 more new players.

For me what I'm thinking I might do is make up a flier (I know one was made, but it seemed really vague to me), and go to places that host Magic Card tournements, places that sell DnD books and 20 sided die -- and ask the owners of the businesses if I can hang up my flyer.

It all comes down to us people. The GMs are doing GM things -- they don't have time to recruit more players. I feel that is something we all must work on. We can't just bitch and complain about the lack of a playerbase and do nothing about it -- when the best way to increase the playerbase is by recruiting and helping our own friends, people we already know and who probably are already interested in trying.
This was well written. Kudos to you sir.

I tried recruiting my GF, she didn't go for it.. But hey, at least I told her about the game
Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 PM
Banned

I've told plenty of people about TEC. They would rather not pay for a text-based game. In this day and age, to someone completely new to the concept of MUDs, could you blame them? They won't get any RPs or be able to fetch anything for themselves. In this economy, an extra 12 bucks is huge to some people, especially students, I'd bet and 30, well! That's a lotta Ramen.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadstrom View Post
Different people have fun different ways. I'm convinced that some TEC players aren't that interested in what their characters can do *now*, they're all interested in how great it will be when they've completed their current training goals and he'll have new abilities.

And of course, when that happens they won't be interested n what their character can do *then*, they'll have new training goals and they'll be thinking about how great it will be when he achieves those goals too.

When training is a way of life, what do you do after you've maxed out four or five skillsets? Doesn't it make sense then to learn new skills?

Say you're going on a trip and you need a healer and a hunter, or a healer and a locksmith. You have to protect both of them. Either of them might sleep on you just when you need them. If it isn't actively dangerous they're likely to get bored while they wait for you.

If we had a lot of players people would figure things out. We'd get lean-tos close to interesting places, with healers and locksmiths etc camped out in them, waiting for customers. But you need a lot of business to make that work.

It's damn inconvenient depending on noncoms. And people who want to train and who've run out of things to train, naturally think of training their own noncom skills.

If the GMs wanted to, they could easily enforce that. Make a maximum of say 5 skillsets. (If you use swords you need ACMs, shields, at least two gladius skillsets, and brawling, right?) Don't let characters buy more skill slots. Maybe have it depend on a skill like memory or reasoning, so people who know ahead of time they'll want extra skills have to try to roll for high reasoning along with everything else.

Here's another approach -- say you can have only two or maybe three skillsets *active* at one time. So first you train gladius and ACMs. At some point you decide that one of them is as high as you want to take it, and you declare it capped. Then you can start learning a third skill. When you're ready to cap one of your two active skills, you can start learning a fourth skill. But once you declare ACMs capped you can never go back and add anything else to it, ever again.

How long would it take for somebody to decide he's ready to lock an important skillset forever so he can learn locksmithing or skinning or bandaging?

I could imagine various ways that it could work. But each of them would annoy people who want to learn as many skills as they like.
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head for me. It feels like whenever I get decent in a weapon, I have to unlearn in order to keep things fresh. Otherwise I have no real desire to log all of those hours in order to gain the precious RPs I need for stats. I'll end up getting bored and wandering off to the real world.

When I have new training goals, it keeps me in the game for extended periods of time. Otherwise I'd just be satisfied with a freebie and only logging in my single character every once in a while. I can't stomach having alts due to the fact I would be tempted to spend my RPs on them as well. It's a pretty vicious cycle.

I reckon a lot of people are motivated solely by mechanical goals as well. Certain RP goals have limitations, and it seems like whenever you find someone decent to interact with, they drop off the face of the earth.

In the past I have been involved with the cliquish behavior and the whole AIM thing, but now I keep a very small group of people around for mostly mechanical questions. I find my play-time pretty lonely because of all this, but it's what I chose. In a way, I feel more involved with the things that go on when I find them out in-game. It's a wonderful feeling, more people should try it.

I feel at times I get way too involved in the mechanical side of things, trying to figure out the shortcomings of my characters stats/skills, that I sometimes forget the mystique and lore that attracted me to TEC in the first place. Back in 98-99 the whole experience was new to me and I felt like danger lurked around every corner. That was mostly due to a very active player base that gave you something to be afraid of. It's hard to emulate that with such low numbers now.

I think we need to get back in touch with the lore of the game, stop asking the GM's to do so much for us, and work on making this a better experience for ourselves. It takes people willing to advertise and spread the news via word of mouth like we were talking about a few months ago.

I jumped around a bit, but this was mostly my thoughts on my personal experiences and from what I've seen in this thread.

P. S. - TEC is free for one character, a lot of people only have time for one. I hate when everyone says you HAVE to pay. Yes, if you want the bonus from exceptional to inhuman... fine. There's plenty of people who have gone without inhuman stats and done just fine. Any real PK situation is going to involve multiple people anyways and your stats mean nothing. I'd love to see more new players who could care less for stats. But it's hard when they see others "paying-to-win".
Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucaria View Post
I jumped around a bit, but this was mostly my thoughts on my personal experiences and from what I've seen in this thread.
Good post.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucaria View Post
P. S. - TEC is free for one character, a lot of people only have time for one. I hate when everyone says you HAVE to pay. Yes, if you want the bonus from exceptional to inhuman... fine. There's plenty of people who have gone without inhuman stats and done just fine. Any real PK situation is going to involve multiple people anyways and your stats mean nothing. I'd love to see more new players who could care less for stats. But it's hard when they see others "paying-to-win".
RPs are important if you want a more customized experience, I feel! But then, I've never had a rich character that could by whatever the overpriced PC merchants in game are selling or any of that. I've used stats for increases one whole time, ever. :/
Old 07-23-2012, 08:17 PM
Darth Platipus

Send a message via ICQ to Rupert Send a message via AIM to Rupert
The major problem I've been seeing lately, is what we ALL expect from TEC these days.

What made this game so addictive 10 years ago? I've given that a lot of thought. Plain and simple, the game was different. We had an active staff who were actively engaging players in events, we had tons of players, who themselves were engaging others in RP. We had a vibrant, constantly changing gameworld.

And then things got slow, and we lost some players with the switch to Skotos. And then they got slower, and then they eventually just.. died. There was a long period of time in TEC where everyone was burned out, GM's and players alike. I think it's during that period what we all came to expect from TEC really changed.

If you look back, the GM's began to try and automate almost everything, to take the stress off their shoulders. In turn, the players turned to mechanics to dictate their RP and role decisions. Story wasn't a priority during this time, compensating for lacking staff was. I think we all just got too use to it.

The past couple of years, we've had much better stuff going on in the game, both players and staff alike. We had the SG's, who tried pretty hard to get stuff going, but players didn't really get it. SG's weren't capable of dealing with mechanics. They could do SOME stuff, but what players wanted was just simply over their heads. Players didn't want what SG's could do, and GM's didn't want SG's to do what players wanted that they could do.

Now we're here. We still rely to much on mechanics, and that leads to stagnation and boredom. It leads to us demanding you guys (The GM's) to give us roleplay, for all the things we CAN'T do without considering what we can. It leads us to wanting mechanics that allow us to do stuff rather than trying to accomplish things through roleplay. What -we- need to realize is that what we can't do, is where you guys come in. Everything else, that's us.

For reals here, some of us have been playing this game a decade or more. You don't need a title and the ability to code to be a GM, some of us might as well be from the amount of IG knowledge we have, the GMNPC like status many of our characters have obtained. We want roleplay? We can easily use the tools we have to start going RIGHT NOW.

We could use some more tools though. You guys should be focusing on organizations. Every org, big time. Org's should have a couple of hours a month to sit down with a GM and discuss stuff, both IC and OOC through NPC's and in the WA. Organizations have more potential than any other body to encourage roleplay. I don't think most people get that you want people to be thinking on terms of what has the most impact on the gameworld, and the most potential for people to get involved. This needs to be made more clear.

I just think there needs to be more open communication going on, really. It's like the players speak spanglish, and the GM's are Canadian. What's being said isn't being understood entirely, on both sides. We can fix it, but we all have to change a little to do it.

You mean it's true?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phwoar View Post
Maybe I'm just becoming some tea-sipping hippy, or maybe I'm sour because my main uses cesti, but, why sacrifice a character idea for the sake of some hypothetical edge in some imagined combat situation in the distant future?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elowynn View Post
Rupert is like the Snowden champion of TEC.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: