Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > Lovecraft Country > Arkham by Night Discussion

Old 10-13-2011, 06:19 AM
Zipperump-a-Zoo

Send a message via ICQ to SPXios
Rape Plots

This subject came up a surprising amount of times yesterday so I want to be clear on my viewpoint. Lovecraft Country is a horror game. And I would say that it can be a somewhat nasty or adult type of horror. I'm also a big fan of corruption stories where people that have power abuse that power. ICly for the last.

But I will NEVER approve a rape plot. I do not believe that rape is an appropriate subject for this medium. Hell, I don't believe rape is an appropriate subject for any medium except a courtroom. In short, I do not approve of rape plots.

Now I won't tell you what you can or cannot do in consentual roleplaying. But I want to be clear, especially for our female players, that if you find yourself being drawn into a rape plot or dragged against your OOC will into a dangerous area, you have every right to OOC say stop. If you feel it is going too far, you can file an assist and even log out.

You will at times enter dangrous areas. You will face things from beyond with faces made of tentacles. By entering those areas, you consent to what will happen, including death. By looking into the face of such a mythos, you consent to your sanity cracking. But you do not have to consent to your character being raped. There is a line, and it might be a little further along here than another game. But don't mistake me. There is a line.

That said, do enjoy the rest of your roleplaying experience.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Zipperump-a-Zoo

Send a message via ICQ to SPXios
Since this subject was brought back up, let me clarify my position some. I have zero tolerance for this type of plot. If someone approaches you with this type of plot, you are completely free to @ooc tell them that you are not comfortable and are leaving. The quit command gets you out of all kinds of trouble. Please file an @assist so we on the staff can speak to the player who wanted to run a rape scene.

You should never feel that you must remain IC and play out a rape scene.

Similarly, I do not expect the IC player based law enforcement characters to have to deal with OOC consensual or non-consensual rape plots. They can use the @assist command so that staff will deal with the matter. Especially when this begins to become harassment of another player, we as the staff need to step in and take actions that can include banning for the betterment of the entire player base.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: