Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > Castle Marrach > Castle Marrach Discussion

Old 04-22-2012, 12:36 PM
Freedooom (ish)

Plot Ideas

Woo, plot ideas.

I know it's been talked about endlessly, but I'm specifically interested in ways that one might play a criminal/villainous character. I may make one, but this is based on the assumption that most chars are relatively good, and good is typically reactive, depending on villains to drive the plot. So first of all, but am I mistaken in that concept?
If I make a villainous character, or a character otherwise tailored specifically to drive plots, what's the best way to go about doing so? How can I better envision new plots, and/or spur on/revitalize existing ones?
Old 04-22-2012, 12:50 PM
Ex-player

First, hooray for pushing plots forward! I have argued endlessly that you don't need a villain to be proactive, but that you do need to actively oppose things / strive for goals.

Now, you are certainly correct in that villains are a very special ball of wax altogether. While I don't have the time to fully dump my brain into this post like it deserves, let me toss out a few points for discussion until I can get back to you:
  • Villains absolutely require OOC trust and communication with other characters. As I told another player today, the irony of CM is that a villain/victim need a more comfortable OOC arrangement than most romance plots.
  • Villains (especially new villains without StP package advantages) require a lot of patience. The good guys (if you want to call the forces of Law that) possess an overwhelming resource advantage, not to mention benefiting from years of not dying / rotting in the gaol to build up their skills. Not saying you have to be a skillhog to be a successful villain or that you need a lot of shiny props, but they certainly don't hurt.
  • Be wary of villain plots that revolve around VC aid. I've gotten some very positive staff responses regarding proactive PC villainy, but the plotters are humans who are stretched very thin. It can be incredibly frustrating to be waiting on that -one- assist to get your plot going, so try to think of ways to work around or redirect your plot in the meantime.
  • Start small. Given the average low-key nature of any particular day IG, the moment that something out of the ordinary happens (like a crime) you will witness the ferocious power of the "pile on" effect, where everyone swarms like piranhas to snap up a piece of the plot. If you come out the gate murdering swaths of people you'll be dead and gaoled before you know it.
  • Find allies. There are plenty of shady characters IG, but it is nigh-critical that you share an OOC commitment to pushing villainous characters. Villains are a traitorous and untrustworthy bunch, but if someone is constantly betraying your secret club to the Inquisition then you'll find yourself cursing the computer screen a lot.
I'll ponder this more over beer and BBQ. Still, villains are an insane amount of fun and I wish you the best of luck!
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 PM

As far as I know from my experience playing a criminal/villainous character, it is not as easy as I had first expected. It also really depends what type of criminal/villain you want to play.

There usually is a reaction from others to crimes committed, but as I said before the reaction you get really does depend on what type of crim you are planing on making.

If you want a long standing reaction with many people, you might have to do more then steal or rob a few people, and getting in with other criminals/villains might be harder the you first anticipate.

One thing I can tell you, is with playing the type of char you have to be totally prepared for the reactions and consequences, don't go into that type of play unless you are willing to accept death and long waits in a cell. (It might not happen, but the chances are way up there)

Either way you decide to go, it takes as much work being a worthy bad guy as trying to climb the social ladder with another char.

But I can tell you its good fun, and the outcome can be totally worth it.

Good luck
Old 04-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Shexi Undah Girlie

Send a message via Skype™ to Qdee
Let me please stress that playing a criminal character and a villain is not necessarily the same thing. Qdee, for example, has engaged in criminal acts. This is no secret. But I would not at all classify her as a villain.

Villains, like every character (IMO) need goals and a purpose. Why do they commit their villainous acts? I am personally tired of baseless murder plots with no reasons behind them except for "We were bored, we wanted something to happen". So purpose. Reasons.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Chronicler of the Court

Send a message via Skype™ to Euphelia
I also want to note that there are very few villains of the snidely whiplash sort. Most people are born with an inherent streak of goodness. People who do terrible things usually, in their mind, have good reasons to do it. They don't wake up and say "I am going to be an evil villain."
Old 04-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Shexi Undah Girlie

Send a message via Skype™ to Qdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonne View Post
Not that your responses weren't helpful, but. Seriously. Is there nothing to do in this game but gain titles and pins?
Of course there is. You will see very many characters with no real station/rank/title to speak of with amazing stories. Honestly, I started Qdee out as a villain. I wanted her to be the next "big thing", I wanted her to be feared everywhere. It was fun for a few months but eventually I decided to shape her out as a character more and more. It was hard for me to go the villain route with no real purpose or goal.

Now, I look at myself as an actress and Qdee is my character. I have had many acting lessons in my life and one recurring lesson is that "a character must have (a) goal(s)". It doesn't have to be pins and titles. But if your character doesn't have a goal or a purpose, what is the meaning of the story you are trying to tell?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 AM
Freedooom (ish)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdee View Post
Of course there is. You will see very many characters with no real station/rank/title to speak of with amazing stories. Honestly, I started Qdee out as a villain. I wanted her to be the next "big thing", I wanted her to be feared everywhere. It was fun for a few months but eventually I decided to shape her out as a character more and more. It was hard for me to go the villain route with no real purpose or goal.

Now, I look at myself as an actress and Qdee is my character. I have had many acting lessons in my life and one recurring lesson is that "a character must have (a) goal(s)". It doesn't have to be pins and titles. But if your character doesn't have a goal or a purpose, what is the meaning of the story you are trying to tell?
Sorry, I know you're trying to help. But one of my major points is there isn't a damn thing to do.
Unless there is, which is why I posted this thread. Scenario:

Newly wakes up.
Talk to someone about getting yourself some clothes.
Probably send a scroll for some clothes.

Now what?
Okay, join X guild.

Find out who runs/is in so-and-so guild.
Scroll y about guild.

Woo, yay. Fun.
So back to the point, -plot ideas-?

Last edited by dragonne; 04-23-2012 at 09:42 AM. Reason: because I'm f**king grumpy.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:26 AM
Chronicler of the Court

Send a message via Skype™ to Euphelia
I am going to go out on a limb and say the problem isn't a lack of plots.

I am going to say it is a lack of interaction.

I'm back almost four full months now and what I see is that people, in general, are afraid of interaction. Or wary of it. Or avoiding it. Anything that might cause them confrontation, they avoid. Anything that might cause them disfavour, they avoid. And that makes for a very placid-feeling game. Almost stagnant.

Which is unfortunate.

People need to be willing to go out there and DO stuff, interact with people and take risks. Maybe it means you won't advance...fast. Maybe it means you won't get pretty things. But I bet it means people will gravitate to you because you're interesting to be around.
Old 04-23-2012, 07:35 AM
Bathed in blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravaan View Post
Either way you decide to go, it takes as much work being a worthy bad guy as trying to climb the social ladder with another char.
I by no means have had heavy criminal characters in my days, but I've experienced it and been part of their plots. How I ascertain it, is that it does not happen overnight. Like Ravaan's player said, it takes time. Whether you want to have a "good" character or a "bad" one, it takes time and lots of interaction (like Euphelia's player just said).

For example: Mortarion wasn't always a baddie. He used to be fun and courteous and social. But his discontent slowly eated away at him. His petty crimes became murder, then eventually treason. I think mostly, because the player was bored. But he was always coming up with these twisted ways he could cause conflict, either SP supported or not. I'm sure a lot of people got crazy pages from him. I find him to be a really great example of a criminal player.

There's also the VP route you can try to take, though I'm not sure what characters are still uncast. There's always baddies there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: