Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > Castle Marrach > Marrach Noise

Old 02-24-2009, 06:25 AM
shackled ditz

Childhood memories: TV & Movies

This thread was inspired by a slow morning and chattering ensued about old school TV shows and movies that were child oriented. It's amazing how connected people can be from having seen the same thing as kids! I had plenty of giggles, jaw-dropping moments and disturbing flashbacks wondering -why- my parents allowed me to sit down and watch some of these...

Here are some links! Share your own and whatever you remember from them, it's fun!

Rölli the Troll - a Finnish TV show that used to be on (may still be? I dunno) Pikku Kakkonen (Finnish equivalent of Nickelodeon). I can't exactly recall the plot, but it's mostly a bum calling himself a troll living in the forest rolling around in filth. Good stuff. He has his own brand of candy out.

The Snorks - I watched this in Spanish as a kid, so it was "Los Snorkles" to me. I was reminded of it quite recently because it was featured in a Family Guy episode.

Rosie and Jim - Ahaha. This one was so perverse. Some lonely old man lives in a house boat and has two dolls who come to life when he leaves. Watching it now those dolls look really creepy...

Pingu - Early claymation at its CUTEST! <3

Basil: The Great Mouse Detective - Total epicness in "old" children's movies. The scene in the toy shop used to freak me out as a kid. However! That clip makes me cringe because this was also something I watched in Espanol. I still hum that classic tune "Oh Ratigan, oh Ratigan!"

Cow and Chicken
- Disturbing. But wonderfully so. Make a family out of a cow and chicken being siblings, parents with nothing above their waist and add a bare-assed cross-dressing devil stalking them? Cartoon Network's finest hour, I say.

Ren and Stimpy - A rare treat that could top Cow and Chicken in weirdness. I think numerous parents prohibited kids from ever laying eyes on this show because of its extreme... everything. Well... maybe they just didn't want their kids to attempt crawling into each other's nostrils, etc.

I am Weasel - Seriously, this had to be from the same creators of Cow and Chicken. This stuff was grossly awesome. A trailer-trash slurring baboon and a weasel who can do no wrong. Watch as their paths cross!

The Wild Thornberrys - I want to know what the animators for this were on, cause the proportions on these characters... Just the dad's nose makes me "o.o".

Barbar - Barbar was king. Such a sweet and awesome string of tales. I had the plushies and the books! On TV I watched it with the guy narrating being this Finnish-Swedish dude with a heavy dialect. Hearing it in English is... wrong. So wrong.

The Magic School Bus - A hippy teacher with a magic bus, who knew that could be such a hit? I felt like I learned a lot from this.

No Name - That's not the name! I don't remember what it was called. But I do remember catching a peek of it and being horrified. And now I fooound it again! Warning: Do not watch while stoned. Bad things happen.

Noddy - Not the new digitally enhanced high-tech Noddy, the old one! This was awful but cute at the same time. That song will just never leave my head. "Noddy..."

Mumintrollen - I shall be a Mumin fangirl for life. Lilla My, Snorkfröken, Mumin Mamma and Mumin Pappa... beautiful stuff. I still have my VHS copy of "Kometen Kommer" (roughly translated to 'the Comet is coming'). I watched this in Swedish always (*cough* still might, now and then) but I believe in English it's called "Moomin" and I know in Finnish it is called Muumipeikko. Really good stuff! Books, the show, the movies all worth looking into. And the intro song is so happy!

I'll search my brain and think of more. I know Josie (Qdee's player) has a particularly acid-trip one to share. Orange bears talking to the moon, or something... Anyway! Which ones do you remember? Are any of these blasts from the past?
Old 02-24-2009, 06:47 AM
"Poor Heath."

Send a message via Skype™ to Heath
The man that spurred this entire discussion:

Mr Squiggle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ks797n8B9g
Old 02-24-2009, 06:56 AM

The Smoggies - I revisited this show in my teens while on mushrooms.. It kind of ruined it for me, not going to lie.

Adventures of the Gummy Bears

Beetlejuice (the cartoon)

Bobby's World

The Animaniacs - LOVED the Wheel of Morality!

Just to name a few..
Old 02-24-2009, 07:04 AM
shackled ditz

Sheep in the Big City - So cute and funny with that great twist of strange.

And thank you to Theresa for reminding me of: Courage the Cowardly Dog

And Mr. Squiggle is hot. I wish he was a part of my childhood.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:17 AM
"Poor Heath."

Send a message via Skype™ to Heath
Bobby's World. Thank you. I was questioning people about the kid on the trike. Awesome.

Bangers and Mash

Bananaman

Brum

I stumbled upon this show recently and was... afraid:

Boohbah
Old 02-24-2009, 07:20 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Hannah Send a message via AIM to Hannah
Wow! How strange is it that I was having a similar conversation with a former CMer this very morning? Oh the memories...

Fraggle Rock - How can you not have loved this show?

He-man - Looking back... *just shakes head* I refuse to believe it was this bad back then.

The Smurfs - Only 3 apples high.. you know they were just.. Smurfy!

G.I. Joe - Man.. it's a good thing they had those PSA's. >.>

T.A.M.N.T. - This song's gonna be in my head all day. Mmm. Ooze.

Ducktails - You know you loved it!

Rescue Rangers - Yes, one of my childhood heroes was a chipmunk. What of it?

Thundercats - Snaaaaarf!

Inspector Gadget - I always wanted to know what Claw looked like.

Pinwheel - Does anyone else remember this show?

Shirttails - I'm ashamed to admit I watched this.

Ah... such good times.

Master Jeweler
Master of the Court of Honor

Old 02-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Undead C.C.

Fraggle Rock, or "Fragglerne" in Danish. The best of Fraggle Rocks never gets old.

The Monkey King, a series of cartoons based on a Chinese classic. Like Fraggle Rock, but it has managed to keep it going for four hundred years.

Transformers and when I studied, there was no physicist at my age who couldn't hum that damn tune.

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, probably the first western fantasy I got to know. The cartoon actually represents a great sanitazion of He-man, making his universe a lot less brutal, which suited me fine back then.

Bamses Billedbog, translatable into "Teddys picture book" or something close. Bamse is an egotistical bear living in a universe clearly dreamed up on someone on acid.

Alf, yes, you know him. I hope.

Interestingly, many of these were not shown on Danish TV. Until I was 11-12 or something, there was only one, state-controlled, TV-channel, which deliberately tried to minimize American influence.

Old 02-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Needs To Drink More Stout

Send a message via Skype™ to Anton
Freakazoid - Superhero Cartoon, Actually Pushes Weird To The Level.

Internet Thing I Know Of On Youtube: Nostaligic Critic
Might Get You Remembering Old TV/Movies Like Ferngully And Well Talks About Them.

Quite Good And Worth A Look At [Also Recomend OLD Angry Nintendo Nerd - Before He Got Paid]

"All issues are political issues, and politics itself is a mass of lies, evasions, folly, hatred, and schizophrenia"

"Although many of us consider ourselves forward-thinkers, we still cling tenaciously to the old values of the system."

"Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force"
Old 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Shexi Undah Girlie

Send a message via Skype™ to Qdee
Yay! Oh man, I'll be watching old kid shows the rest of the evening.

First, my share:

Bear in the Big Blue House - Acid-trip orange bear! Intro, this one, if you want to see it talking to the moon, go here. Was my all-time favorite!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeva View Post
Ducktales (A woo-oo).
YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeva View Post
Chip & Dale Rescue Rangers
DOUBLE-YES! When you need help just call - chip chip chip chip 'n Dale! Rescue rangers!

Those three were my favorites. All time. For sure.

And The Magic School Bus! Wow. I too felt I was getting smarter. Just by watching the show. I loved it. I wish -my- teacher had been that cool.

Pingu. Mummitroldene. Cow and Chicken. TMNT.

Of course, though, I watched everything in Danish.

/edit/ Oh, yeah! And Gummi Bears. Can't forget them.

//EDIT//
I forgot some -more- important ones.

Watership Down - Watched this show religiously one Summer.

And thanks to Ashley for reminding me of:
Little Bear - Same. Though it might have been another Summer.

Franklin the Turtle - Gotta love the turtle and his friends.

Last edited by Qdee; 02-24-2009 at 02:48 PM. Reason: V. important addition
Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Historic Lady

Send a message via AIM to Avaria
As someone who still enjoys a cartoon now and then, is there a cut-off age for nostalgia?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:03 AM
AKA BillyBob

Send a message via MSN to Jaye
The Ferals. And Catdog! <3 Catdog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9XVSCjOgFo
Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 AM
AKA BillyBob

Send a message via MSN to Jaye
Anyone remember Roger Ramjet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZIjT...eature=related

And a newer cartoon I absolutely adore is Shaun the Sheep. He's so cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtfb4m6xGCA
Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 AM
Curly-Haired Carpenter

Wow, takes me back. Duck Dodger and the 24th and half Century. The Last Unicorn. Does Neverending Story and Dark Crystal count? Dark Crystal had muppets... Speaking of muppets. Muppets from Space. Muppet Christmas Carol. Anything muppets. I have the first season of Fraggle Rock. I have watched almost all of those on the list.

EDIT: I still watch cartoons too, so I'm not sure about nostalgia. Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is a great newer one.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Worlds without end...

Wow... now I feel really old.

Gilligans Island.

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

The Flintstones.

Looney Tunes.

I should tell you that growing up, we didn't have very many channels on television. We had 3, 8 and 10. CBS, NBC and PBS. And all three of those were horrible in reception quality. I guess that comes from living way up in the boonies. Oh, and cartoons? Yeah, they only came on Saturday morning from about 6am to noon. That was it. There was no Cartoon Network.

We didn't have more than those three channels until I was a teenager (if I remember correctly) and then that was from actual satellite TV - not something like DISH or Direct TV - but an actual 8 foot dish that pointed to various satellites depending on which shows you wanted to watch.

I spent a lot of time outside as a kid.

No computer.
No video games.
No cell phone.
Limited television.

We didn't get a computer until I was in high school and it was basically a glorified typewriter with a display.

We didn't get any video game type players until I was in Junior High or High School and that was Atari type games - Mario didn't exist yet.

Cell phone? What's that? Those didn't come about until I was in High School as well and then it was only super rich people that had them.

I often wonder how much different the youth of today would be if they didn't have so many things to encourage them to sit on their behinds, and instead had to find things to go and do. We rode the wheels off our bikes. We wore out our shoes hiking in the mountains. We swam in rivers and creeks. We rode snow sleds down the mountain side, and skied through the forests and down mountains. We built forts in the woods and climbed trees. We explored.

Those are certainly good childhood memories.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:31 PM
Inner Bailey redneck

Send a message via MSN to Keyana Send a message via Yahoo to Keyana
I watched all of those except for Buck Rodgers (but I have heard of the show) as re-runs. I think I've seen most every episode of Gilligan's Island.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: