Skotos Forums  

Go Back   Skotos Forums > Our Games > Castle Marrach > Castle Marrach Discussion

Old 05-03-2005, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Deleted characters

Here are the guidelines we follow when a request is made to undelete a character:

"Considering the age minimum dictated by the TOS, we should all be able to assume that players are capable of making decisions they can live with. Players are asked several times whether they are sure they want to delete their characters, and once they agree for the final time, their character's fate is sealed.

Unless extraneous circumstances apply (which would require a judgement call from the Lead SG and a heavy argument such as that the player's account was hacked and the character deleted without their knowledge), no character will be returned from deletion, nor will a newly created character be made to resemble a deleted character in name, appearance, possessions or abilities, especially as this would basically allow players to circumnavigate the character limit per account."

Basically, unless you have some extenuating circumstances, we do not undelete characters. Please, make certain that you truly wish to delete your character before doing so, because it is rare that we retrieve them and it can often be a very sad thing to not be able to have your character back.

Thank you.
While I may not always agree with you, I will always listen to you. I will always give my best effort to be fair with the individuals involved, no matter what my prior associations with them may have been. I enjoy this duty, and while everyone is not always pleased with the outcome, we must remember that there are two sides to every issue and in as much, fair may not always seem fair to everyone involved. Nevertheless, I will do my best.

Thank you,
SG Dathan
Old 05-03-2005, 09:05 AM
Kill count: 3

Send a message via ICQ to Kyle Send a message via AIM to Kyle
I was wondering how you would actualy go about deleting your character so it wasnt around anymore. I guess last time I tried I failed and he came back... so Ive got a character in my slot that I dont want to use but dont want to delete because then I couldnt make a new one of him. I guess all I wanted was the name, but ... I didnt know it came with a body already too. and I dont want to be bald.

Keep in touch, PM me with yahoo messneger. My ID is Fizgot. (and tell me who you are in CM so that I can know who Im talking to)
Old 05-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Curious Wildcat

Send a message via ICQ to Diedra Send a message via AIM to Diedra Send a message via MSN to Diedra Send a message via Yahoo to Diedra Send a message via Skype™ to Diedra
Re: Deleted characters

Quote:
Originally posted by SG Dathan
nor will a newly created character be made to resemble a deleted character in name, appearance, possessions or abilities, especially as this would basically allow players to circumnavigate the character limit per account."
Quick question on this, and I think I asked and found out the answer to this once - but its been ages and I can't remember. Do deleted character names ever re-set and become available? If so, how long does that take?

I mean, there are some really good names that have been used by people who make trial accounts then never play... are they forever off limits? Just curious.

~Nicole
"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say."- McLuhan
"There was never a great genius without a tincture of madness." - Aristotle
Get Firefox -- My Blog
Old 05-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Regarding names: I do not know the exact amount of time that this takes, but I believe it is six months to a year before the names are purged from inactivity and are once again able to be used. Don't quote me on that.

Also, I would encourage players to not use names that existed before if at all possible. It will inevitably end up with some amount of confusion depending on how well known the character was.

I should probably also note that prominent names may be removed from use forever depending on who the character was and how much their presence impacted the castle. For example, I can't see that if the player of Gareth suddenly quit that a year from now we would allow another Gareth, different even in personality and appearance, to roam the halls. It just wouldn't be a easy thing to adapt to, though we do recognize that in life there are certainly people with the same name.

Of course there are exceptions to everything.
While I may not always agree with you, I will always listen to you. I will always give my best effort to be fair with the individuals involved, no matter what my prior associations with them may have been. I enjoy this duty, and while everyone is not always pleased with the outcome, we must remember that there are two sides to every issue and in as much, fair may not always seem fair to everyone involved. Nevertheless, I will do my best.

Thank you,
SG Dathan
Old 05-04-2005, 08:45 AM
damaged goods

Send a message via AIM to britta
I do believe some names have been retired permanently, at least that is the rumor.

Also, for instance, I have two accounts. and I'm hoarding some names *cough* now since i never play alts, pretend one day i come up with this wonderful idea for a plot bla bla bla, and i want to use say...Tara. I have her name, technically, but i want a red head instead of a brunette. She's never been played, is still in her linens. Is there a way they can let me delete her and reuse the name since the name belonged to my character initially? or even for a nominal rp cost?
Old 05-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Administrator

Why not just request a 50 STP's trait-alteration on the char's hair? *shrug*

-Kalle.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:43 AM
Zipperump-a-Zoo

Send a message via ICQ to SPXios
Yes, some character names are being held regardless of how long it might have been since their player had an active account. This is most often done in situations where the character has left a substantial mark on the castle and we actually catch it. I would expect some names will always fall through the cracks.

At the moment, the automatic purging system checks perhaps once a month and purges out character names on around six month old trial accounts.

While I am not aware of purges from expired paid accounts, we do not guarantee your character will not be purged unless you had some unusual RL issues that you discussed with us prior to leaving. (i.e. drafted into the military for a year, don't want to pay when you can't play but hope to return in a year)
Old 08-22-2005, 08:16 AM
Administrator

Re: Deleted characters

Quote:
Please, make certain that you truly wish to delete your character before doing so, because it is rare that we retrieve them and it can often be a very sad thing to not be able to have your character back.
*Bump*

Thank you,
SG Dathan
Old 08-22-2005, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Regarding names: I do not know the exact amount of time that this takes, but I believe it is six months to a year before the names are purged from inactivity and are once again able to be used. Don't quote me on that.

Also, I would encourage players to not use names that existed before if at all possible. It will inevitably end up with some amount of confusion depending on how well known the character was.

I should probably also note that prominent names may be removed from use forever depending on who the character was and how much their presence impacted the castle. For example, I can't see that if the player of Gareth suddenly quit that a year from now we would allow another Gareth, different even in personality and appearance, to roam the halls. It just wouldn't be a easy thing to adapt to, though we do recognize that in life there are certainly people with the same name.

Of course there are exceptions to everything.

I think it would depend upon the spelling of the name.
With the right nouns and constants, the name my sound the same but be spelled differently.

Example: Hayton or Heyton

Darren
Old 12-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Dame Evil

Just a reminder for everyone.
And flies when I pursue it.

I freeze and yet am always burned
Since from myself again I turn.
I love and yet am forced to hate.
I seem stark mute; inside I prate.

Some gentler love doth ease itself
Into my heart and mind.
For I am soft and made of snow
Love, be more cruel or so be kind.

- Adapted by Martin Phipps, from a poem by Elizabeth I
Old 10-17-2006, 09:32 AM
Administrator

More explanation as to why we do not undelete characters:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
a bad precedent to set because it takes Nino a good deal of work to go through the archives, find the right back-up, and retrieve the character. After all, if the character was still right there and just a quick command away from retrieval it wouldn't really be deleting, would it? The effect of deletion, in part, is that it removes it from the current databse. It is also impractical to maintain a seperate database of just deleted characters because, frankly, it would be *huge*.

This is why we tell you to not delete your characters when you are leaving the game.

Thank you,
SG Dathan
Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Please, if you can't live without your characters, don't delete them. When you go to delete, take a step back and wait until tomorrow before you decide to go through with it, because once you've deleted your character, unless there are some special circumstances, we aren't going to bring them back. Ever.

The information can also be found in this stickie:

http://forum.skotos.net/showpost.php...4&postcount=17

Those special circumstances:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SG Dathan View Post
Here are the guidelines we follow when a request is made to undelete a character:

"Unless extraneous circumstances apply (which would require a judgement call from the Lead SG and a heavy argument such as that the player's account was hacked and the character deleted without their knowledge), no character will be returned from deletion, nor will a newly created character be made to resemble a deleted character in name, appearance, possessions or abilities, especially as this would basically allow players to circumnavigate the character limit per account."

Thank you,
SG Dathan
Old 04-11-2007, 11:29 AM
damaged goods

Send a message via AIM to britta
I am shocked and amused people actually do this. I think deletion should be like the darwin awards. If you're dumb enough to delete a character in a fit of temper that you want to play again, you shouldn't be allowed to play with grownups. Period.

Is this a business or the personal fiefdom of a few volunteers?
Old 04-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Asshat

Quote:
Originally Posted by britta View Post
I am shocked and amused people actually do this. I think deletion should be like the darwin awards. If you're dumb enough to delete a character in a fit of temper that you want to play again, you shouldn't be allowed to play with grownups. Period.
Totally. Think twice before invoking the final solution!!!111

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: