PDA

View Full Version : #9: The Puzzle of Purloined Players

ShannonA
11-16-2000, 01:01 PM
** THE NINTH TRIAL **

Galactic emperors, absent players, surly couriers, stuck doors. Read the newest TT&T at http://www.skotos.net/articles/

In a virtual reality we just don't have these guarantees. The characters in the game don't have a continuity of existence. You can't always find them; they can't always hear about events that they should participate in.

Comments welcome!

Shannon

Buggy
11-17-2000, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ShannonA:
Always give your characters ways to explain absences.

I cannot play my character as often as I would like, and so he tends to stay to the back of any conversation and just watch. I've come up with a great reason why he isn't around often, but nobody asks. I'll tell you though: he likes to spend time alone in his room, reading. This excuse could only be made more valid if the castle had a library of some sort.

We've long known that our second game was going to be "The Galactic Emperor is Dead", a LARP written by Mike Young which we planned to convert to a Stage. However, in recent
weeks we've been wondering whether the mechanics of our server are really up to the task of running Galactic Emperor right now. There's been much discussion, and we ultimately had to come to a decision.

As you may have seen over on the Galactic Emperor page, we've decided to delay the
release of Galactic Emperor. You may recall back in my first column that this was something I in generally suggested against... but sometimes you have to delay a release, in order to ensure that you produce a quality game.

Damn that Mike Young for making such an ambitious, far-reaching game. http://www.skotos.net/ubb/smile.gif

Buggy

Darren Brimhall
11-20-2000, 04:00 AM
Making a book based upon actual happenings in the Castle is a lot trickier thing. As you note, there's legal issues.

This can be accomplished by a legal form where the player gives is concent allowing the creation of that particular character's story.We hope that a lot of the character-driven happenings will be preserved in journals, diaries, and even short stories produced by out players. Down the line we hope to make web pages available right here at Skotos, and we think that will help generate an even tighter community, as people can share their game experiences in this slightly

I do this on 3x5 cards I carry around with me. Unfortunately, two problems come up; what I plan out doesn't happen, or what occurs is either the exact opposite of what I wanted to occur or something else unexpected occurs.
But sadly, I don't recall what was said or done beyond the high points of the sceans, so what ever ends up written is radically different from what was actually done during the game. I at least hope Skotos has some sort of way of retaining what occurs (a large capasity harddrive which is dumped out onto hardcopy printout would be the best way of doing it--but oh the storage space you'd need)so it can be used for published stories..

Darren Brimhall

JeffCrook
11-20-2000, 11:59 AM
As a role-player and a writer, I can tell you that very little of what happens in a game ever finds its way into my fiction. In game events just don't seem to make good stories. It's kind of a 'you had to be there' thing.

Darren Brimhall
11-20-2000, 04:41 PM
Or simply go at it from memory. Well, I'll see what I can do. I've started put down notes and story sceans in my writer's journal.

Darren Brimhall

Catharsis
11-21-2000, 11:16 AM
RE: Continutity of plots (article #9)

I definitely enjoyed the feel of the "weekender" plots that have recently surfaced. There was a bit of excitement in joining in the mob that ran all over the castle trying to figure out what door the pewter key would unlock.
The overall sense of "plot" within the castle felt a lot more accessible (to me at least) when presented in this abbreviated weekend fashion. I'd been wondering about the development of stories like this within the castle and was quite intrigued at the increase in events.
Yet, all it not perfect. I might log my character in and wander into a room. Uh oh. They're crying. Must have missed something. Into character, I inquire and try to figure out what I missed. Ah ha. Andrew was killed. Sweet. Details? Well, no one in the room actually KNEW anything. just that he was dead. Oh. The plot forming in my mind hit a sudden wall.
I understand the necessity of staying in character to learn about the events that happen in the castle ... it would seem weird if I knew all the details before I even asked what happened, I admit. But There seem to be a large number of "events" like this, where once the limited group of participants logs out, the events "dies" and fades from memory.
Perhaps this is the natural cycle of events. I'm still perfectly new to the entire world of roleplaying (the MUD I came from wasn't anything like this). But I find myself wishing that perhaps there was a news release system. I don't mean sharing every fact, but someway that characters could learn about the fun stuff that happened while they were out having dinner in RL. I love this place, but I can't commit to it all day (I don't get paid to stay around).
It could be something as simple as notice board in the hallway outside of the dinning hall. "Ser Andrew was stabbed in the back this eve. Investigations are pending" or "The Watch seeks to question those who stole items from the western closet. Please talk to your local Watchman."
Because as much fun at is it talking to the other characters ... it's an incredibly inefficent method of learning anything, especially when the characters are not around as much as they would be in a real life environment ... continuity becomes nearly impossible.

So, a few words. I'll go back to my term paper now.

Atama
11-21-2000, 11:52 AM
Well, the Watch and other groups do make reports on occasion on the In Character board, but this is not a standard and has only been done when someone feels like it. I'll make sure to discuss with the rest of the Watch and see if we can generate a regular public statement when things like that occur. Of course, not all details will be released (it would interfere with our investigations to do so). But, we could determine what to release to the public, and try to make regular statements for everyone's benefit (and that might also quell rumors... ok, maybe it won't http://www.skotos.net/ubb/smile.gif ).

ChristopherA
11-21-2000, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Catharsis:
But I find myself wishing that perhaps there was a news release system. I don't mean sharing every fact, but someway that characters could learn about the fun stuff that happened while they were out having dinner in RL.

We were hoping that more Chronicler's would arise and help us perform this function. It is a real castle office, and has rights and privileges associated with it that we hoped would encourage more people to be involved.

-- Christopher Allen

Seidl
11-22-2000, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by ChristopherA:
We were hoping that more Chronicler's would arise and help us perform this function.

Well, if you let some of us join more than one guild, we could spread ourselves even thinner and help out. http://www.skotos.net/ubb/smile.gif

-=- Matt aka. Martel

Atama
11-22-2000, 11:48 AM
Hehe, Seidl, how many does Martel belong to already? I thought you were in the Awakened too (according to the Dreams of Marrach site you are). Being a Rememberer and a Watchman is enough to cause problems for Zero... you sure you wanna stretch yourself that thin? http://www.skotos.net/ubb/smile.gif

Seidl
11-22-2000, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Atama:
Hehe, Seidl, how many does Martel belong to already? I thought you were in the Awakened too (according to the Dreams of Marrach site you are).

Just the two ... for now. I've already been told no to 2 others. http://www.skotos.net/ubb/smile.gif If you know me, you know at least one of them, probably both.

-=- Matt aka. Martel